Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 03-05-2021, 02:21 PM

Default MTRX Studio Pops on SR change

Hey all,

Just got a MTRX Studio setup and (aside from the disappointment on a lack of Dante SRC) it's been a fairly smooth transition (thanks for the YouTube setup videos!)

The issue I'm having is that every time I change sample rates or close Pro Tools I'm getting a pop through my monitors that I didn't get with my Omni. I've tried muting before hand but it seems that doesn't actually cut the output's signal and wondered if that's just the way it is or if there's some other setting I need to hit to avoid that.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:56 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio Pops on SR change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kelly View Post
Hey all,

Just got a MTRX Studio setup and (aside from the disappointment on a lack of Dante SRC) it's been a fairly smooth transition (thanks for the YouTube setup videos!)

The issue I'm having is that every time I change sample rates or close Pro Tools I'm getting a pop through my monitors that I didn't get with my Omni. I've tried muting before hand but it seems that doesn't actually cut the output's signal and wondered if that's just the way it is or if there's some other setting I need to hit to avoid that.
I get audible clicks from the the MTRXst itself, (relays presumably) but not through the monitors.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:13 AM
Avid

Greetings,

A few things. Regarding quitting Pro Tools -> I would recommend (after quitting Pro Tools) open up Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup > Audio and change the default Sample Rate of HDX (or HDN which ever you have) from 192kHz to 48kHz or whatever your most commonly used rate is. That way on quit when Pro Tools is transitioning from talking to the hardware internally vs through Core Audio - there is no switch.

2nd. How are you clocking? What is your sync / clock source in DADman and how are you distributing clock? Are you speakers analog or digitally connected? Thanks.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-08-2021, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

I'm clocked internally on the MTRX Studio feeding word clock to a H9000 in. Previously had this on Loop Sync with an Omni/16x16 Setup but wasn't sure there was any reason to continue with just two interfaces.

I did set the Audio Midi sample rate to 48k, unfortunately I work at a lot of different rates depending on the artists (currently at 88.2 and started the day at 96k) so I don't think there's a single sample rate that will avoid that if the pops go through on sample rate changes everytime.

Speakers are connected Analog from DSUB 1-8 on channels 1-2. I can switch to the TRS jacks if you think that's the issue, just expected the Mute to actually stay muted when on.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Avid

Understood. I'm having trouble reproducing the behavior you are describing.

Presumably, the pop you mention is also visibly metering through your DigiLink inputs in DADman yes? Are you using your H9k with a DigiLink option card as well? Can you repro the issue without the Eventide connected?

Let me know what you find - and if you want to dig in deeper feel free to email me directly: [email protected].

I have numerous MTRX and MTRX Studio devices here and want to try and understand what is causing the spikes. Thanks.

:::ADD:::

I was able to reproduce some pops - however only by cranking up every aspect of the gain stage up -> speakers 100% and control room +12. What speakers are you monitoring through and how do you have them set / calibrated?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...vel-in-Pro-Mon

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ

Last edited by creativecontrol; 03-08-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Augmentation
Old 03-19-2021, 07:39 PM

I also get clicks and pops when opening sessions with different sample rates than I'm currently on. I have DADman set to follow the ProTools sample rate. Most times I don't know that the session I'm opening is a different rate until it starts popping through the headphones.