Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-28-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Multiple Causes of Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.2 (?), 12.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
Thanks for confirming you’re using PT 12.7.1

Great news it’s all OK for you!

Member midnightrambler has a different outcome:
Noise Blast - The Return
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390010
Old 03-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Multiple Causes of Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.2 (?), 12.7, 12.7.1

I've been using Protools since version 6 on Windows and Mac since version 9 and have not ever experienced this.

Maybe it's an interface specific issue?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Multiple Causes of Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.2 (?), 12.7, 12.7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Big thanks to mr xy for posting about Ice9 – a free VST/AU plug-in hosted in Blue Cat’s PatchWork or similar:
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2421476&postcount=10

http://www.cerberusaudio.com/Software/Products/Ice9/

Ice9 won't affect the audio unless its adjustable threshold has been breached
I don't have the problem, but too bad this isn't AAX

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 03-28-2017, 05:45 PM

That does look like a handy plug-in.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 PM

This is probably an incredibly naive suggestion, but if it's so hard for Avid to track down the source of these blasts (which thankfully I've not experienced), wouldn't a plausible workaround be to have a preferences-configurable hard-limit on dB output, anything above which simply gets limited?

From what I gather, that's essentially what ice9 does, so it would seem like a good addition to the core application, rather than everyone combing for causes of individual instances, and living in fear of new ones being introduced.

FYI, I'm using 12.7.1 on macOS 10.12.3.

Last edited by TheNeil; 03-28-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Grammar fails
Old 03-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I've been using Protools since version 6 on Windows and Mac since version 9 and have not ever experienced this.

Maybe it's an interface specific issue?
I can't speak to the current version, I've not had this issue since I think 12.5, but am concerned to see the new thread on it in 12.7.1

However, as someone that has experienced this horrendous bug (blown tweeters to prove it) it's frustrating to read the totally understandable assumption that it must be a specific plugin or interface issue.

It's not, or certainly wasn't in the past. In the end, the noise blasts I got were confirmed by avid as a reproducible bug that occurred independent of interface, plugins or any other variables. I sent sessions to avid that reliably reproduced the problem. The fix was mentioned in release notes so it clearly was an issue with PT.

So I've you've never got "the blast", you are lucky, your workflow never triggered it, but the fault was (and perhaps still is ) in PT.

Rant over :)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM

That would, in essence, be admitting they can't find and solve the problem. But it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeil View Post
This is probably an incredibly naive suggestion, but if it's so hard for Avid to track down the source of these blasts (which thankfully I've not experienced), wouldn't a plausible workaround be to have a preferences-configurable hard-limit on dB output, anything above which simply gets limited?

From what I gather, that's essentially what ice9 does, so it would seem like a good addition to the core application, rather than everyone combing for causes of individual instances, and living in fear of new ones being introduced.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Multiple Causes of Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4, 12.5, 12.5.2 (?), 12.7, 12.7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
That would, in essence, be admitting they can't find and solve the problem. But it's a good idea.

Agreed. I'm not saying it would then mean give up on solving what are obviously Audio glitches, but it would certainly make them a lot less dangerous and worrying for people! A way to greatly reduce the severity, albeit not the frequency, of the issue.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr xy View Post
to protect against this i use this (free) plugin on my master:

http://www.cerberusaudio.com/Software/Products/Ice9/

hosted in bluecat audio patchwork.

i thought those dark dark days were gone though. i swear the noise blast has probably taken a year or two off my live, mixing in fear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I don't have the problem, but too bad this isn't AAX
If US$99 PatchWork “saves the day” – it’s worth every cent!

Blue Cat's PatchWork is a universal plug-ins patchbay that can host up to 64 VST, VST3 or Audio Unit plug-ins into any Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in one instance.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_PatchWork/

It is possible to chain effects in series or create up to 8 parallel chains that can be activated independently. This lets you create your favorite effects or instruments configurations within the plug-in, without the need for multiple busses. These configurations can be saved as presets and recalled instantly, or shared with multiple DAWs, using any plug-in format (full list below).
Despite the name, you can forget about wires or cables: configuring plug-ins routing is as simple as adding or removing a row or a column in the rack's matrix. All plug-ins can also communicate with each other or with the host application using the virtual MIDI ports offered by the plug-in.
For each plug-in slot, latency compensation, presets management, undo/redo integration, audio i/o selection and individual plug-in bypass are included for optimal operation. The plug-in also stores the position of the window for each plug-in so that the layout is restored with your session or saved with presets.
Also, sub plug-ins can be automated or controlled with external control surfaces using Blue Cat's PatchWork parameters mapping capabilities.
This product is available as an audio plug-in (effect or a virtual instrument) and standalone application, so that it can used alone or inserted on any type of track in your favorite DAW, with up to 16 audio channels.
Input and output level meters are also available to monitor the signal that is dispatched to inserted plug-ins, including side chain and aux channels.

You can download a Demo from the link above.

Main Features:
• Configurable VST, VST3 or Audio Unit plug-ins rack: host up to 64 third party plug-ins or instruments in series or parallel.
• Available as an effect, virtual instrument or standalone application.
• Build your own effects chains: up to 8 "pre" and "post" plug-ins slots to chain plug-ins in series.
• Parallel processing made easy: up to 8 parallel plug-ins chains, with phase flip, solo and gain controls.
• Host up to 8 virtual instruments in parallel and mix them within the plug-in.
• Global Dry/Wet control ("Mix").
• Parameters Mapping: map sub plug-ins parameters to automate them or use a control surface.
• Flexible MIDI routing: connect sub plug-ins together or with the host application.
• Flexible Audio routing: connect sub plug-ins i/o to any audio channel.
• External side chain and multiple outputs support.
• Link pre and post gains for automatic gain compensation.
• Cut, Copy and paste plug-ins with their settings between slots.
• Recall complex processing setups and plug-ins layouts with one click and share them between your DAWs.
• Input and output levels monitoring.
• Plug-ins Latency compensation.
• Supports VST Shell plug-ins.
• Integrated undo/redo.
• Fully customizable user interface, with multiple sizes.

Blue Cat Audio Standards:
• Available as: Mac-AAX, Mac-AU, Mac-App, Mac-RTAS, Mac-VST, Mac-VST3, Win-AAX, Win-App, Win-DX, Win-RTAS, Win-VST, Win-VST3, Win x64-AAX, Win x64-App, Win x64-DX, Win x64-VST, Win x64-VST3.
• Native DSP code for optimal performance.
• Full MIDI control and automation support with silent, zipper-free parameters update, advanced response control and MIDI Learn.
• No CPU load on idle: when the plug-in is fed with silence, the processing smoothly shuts down, to optimize the CPU usage of your Digital Audio Workstation.
• Skinnable and customizable user interface with transparency management.
• Smooth Bypass: activate/deactivate the plug-in with absolutely no noise.
• Undo/Redo.
• Full featured integrated presets manager.
• Copy/paste the state of the plug-in between instances using the system clipboard.
• Any sample rate supported.

Review - Patchwork V2 By Blue Cat Audio
https://youtu.be/QIb0NFoIRP4?list=PL...q_AzahD-RaqsqI

Last edited by unkJE; 03-28-2017 at 08:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeil View Post

A hard limit on the output won't solve anything, as the DA can't produce above 0dBFS anyway - the hardware simply cannot produce a dynamic range of 800 odd dB. a 300dB noise blast will be just as loud as a 700dB one at the output if heard at the same monitor volume - it will be at the full volume of the DA. As we often mix needing to hear how much range there is to full scale, a limiter will not help.

Ice9 from what I understand (which I haven't tested) works by muting the sound if the threshold is reached, so a limiter with a 1:negative infinity ratio, rather than a limiter with with a 1: positive infinity ratio.
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC