Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2003, 11:50 PM

Default Watch My Move

Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my system now. After alalyzing my budgets and really looking at what I need, I'm sticking with my 001 system. I may just wait till the next LE hardware release. But for now, it's me and my 001.

I've got now a PT 5.3 rig with a 001 complete with an Alesis AI-3 ADAT interface, all running on my Dual-1gig Processor Mac. Runs pretty well, but I'm lookig for a new streamlined system with the latest software.

Here's my plan. I'm keeping my Mac, no upgrade needed there. However I do plan on buying some more RAM. Is it really neccessary? I don't know about you guys, but I run my Mac like a machine, not a computer. All it has on it is ProTools and damn it runs smoothly. Anyway, I wanted to go with a bit more RAM, but I also wanted to upgrade to OSX. Now, when I bought my Mac about a year ago, it came with OS9 and OSx with it, and I just decided to stick with OS9 will the next release of Protools. (I mean, I had no other choice!) But now I wanted to go ahead with PT 6 and OSX. Does PT6 run smoothly with the 001 with any problems? And how about the OS. Should I go ahead and run for Jaguar? I mean , I took a look at the differences between the to versions of OSX and it was mostly fluffy stuff for fun. But I wasn't planning to even install the included calculator program, much less Ichat!!

So this combination: the 001 run by PT6 on OSX. But what about the OSX version. Should I just keep what I've got here (the original OSX) or should I buy the next version?

Please help me out here. Thanks a bunch guys! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- Andy
Old 05-25-2003, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Watch My Move

Beware Bud,this is coming from someone who just recently upgraded from PC to the MAC platform,G4 dual 1.25,FW800.OSX 10.2.3.I needed more ram straight up[OSX allocates ram automatically].I am also having problems with generating MTC from the MIDI ports on the DIGI breakout box,something to do with the new MAC setup,if you use the MIDI features in pro tools check the conferance,there has been problems.IT seems people are having problems with some of the new computers and 6.01.Sorry about the negative spin,weigh up the benifits and extra cost.Cheers.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:08 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Default Re: Watch My Move

Also something to keep in mind: PT 6 will only run on the Jaguar versions of OS X, not the original OS 10.1, but OS 10.2... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]