Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 AM

Default Track RENDER

Checked all forums & I can't seem to find and answer to this one...

I have been asked by a recording studio who is going to mix some of my stuff, to 'render' my tracks before I bring them in. All of my tracks regardless of their individual duration, need to start and end at exactly the same point.

The studio uses Nuendo + a PC, and I can't think of any other way around this. Can anyone out there suggest how I might go about 'rendering' my tracks? I've already consolidated them, is rendering somehow related to consolidating tracks?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Track RENDER

This is likely just confusion on terms between the 2 systems. Consolidate is what you are describing(making each track a single audio file and all start at the same time-usually 0:00:000). Render usually refers to processing the audio somehow, like using Audiosuite plugins. Say you highlight the entire track, choose an Audiosuite EQ and add 3db at 10K and then hit Process. Now you have rendered a new audio file that has that EQ change. Is this making sense? In any case, by consolidating each track and starting all from the same time, you can export the audio files(highlight all the audio>go to the regions bin and choose Export Regions as Files and send all regions for a song to a folder, say on the desktop, the files can be dropped into any DAW system and will all line up).

BTW, before you export all your audio, you may want to go thru and rename each region so they are all easy to decipher for the mix engineer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 AM

We don't "render" tracks in Pro Tools, we "print them."

Set the output of the track you wish to "render" to a free bus. Create a new track (name it "BD PRINT" or "GTR_PRINT" or whatever) and set that new track's input to that same bus. Arm it to record. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of your song (another for the end is also nice too...this is to ensure your files are all the same length and have the same starting point.) Highlight from the 1st marker to the 2nd and push record. Wait. Repeat for each track. You can "print" as many tracks at a time as you have free voices/buses in Pro Tools. Go to your project folder's audio folder and sort by date or file size to easily grab all the files.

I also do this to Instrument tracks with memory-intensive virtual instruments to free up memory if needed and to Drumagog tracks (I like to visually verify the hits are lined up.)
Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 AM

If the studio just wants raw, as originally recorded tracks, then do as albee suggested and consolidate each track from 0:00 to a common end past your longest track, name each resulting region and export the files to a folder.

If the studio wants the tracks with effects and automation, you will either have to render the tracks by the RTD method suggested by AlexLakis and then Export the files or BTD each indiviual track, either way starting at 0:00 to a common end point. Exporting files does not apply any effects, unless you have first used AudioSuite, or automation unless you use RTD.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-25-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
In any case, by consolidating each track and starting all from the same time, you can export the audio files(highlight all the audio>go to the regions bin and choose Export Regions as Files and send all regions for a song to a folder, say on the desktop, the files can be dropped into any DAW system and will all line up).
I did that exactly but the new files don't start at 0:00. The length of each file is still the same as the original ones. I'm on PT 2018.10. Do you guys have any additional input?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM

First off, maybe review the steps because I don't understand how your tracks don't start at zero if you followed my steps. Having said that, it less important that they all start at zero, but crucial that they all start at the exact same time(whatever that time is). Next, if they all start at the same time, do they all start on a grid line? That is not a show-stopper if they don't, BUT, if they do, and you note the tempo, then the next studio will have an easier time if any editing is needed.

Now, since the original post was from 9 years ago, there has been a lot of improvement in Pro Tools and I see you are on 2018.10. Here is what I would do today(9 years ago was another story);
1-Save a session copy(so you can't screw up the original)
2-If you have a rough mix that conveys the spirit of what you want, bounce and Import After Bounce(to a new track) so the person mixing has a reference of what you are going for(once this bounce is imported onto a new track, label it so mixer knows what it is)
3-Decide what(if any) plugin processing you want to make a permanent part of any of your tracks. Remove all other plugins. The use the Commit Up To This Plugin feature to render/print an audio file WITH the desired processing
4- Enable the ALL group, click and drag from past the end of the song, all they way back to zero, and consolidate(now all the audio files start together)
5-Since the files are going to a different DAW, double-click and rename the audio files so the kick drum audio file is called Kick Drum instead of Kick_108....... or even worse, Audio46_56.CM...... That way, the mixing person knows exactly what each and every track is.
6-open the Clips bin and swipe across all your tracks(in the EDIT window) to highlight ALL the audio files you need, and ONLY the audio files you need, then Export Clips as Files. I would first create a folder(probably on the desktop) for each song. And, each folder would be named "the song_110BPM"(using the real song name and actual tempo, if it was done to a click). Burn those folders onto a DVD-R or copy them to a portable drive so you can hand them off to your mixer

If you're still confused, don't be afraid to ask the mixing person for advice, but be aware that they may have some different terms(Consolidate vs. Render, Clip vs File, etc). I would export files at the original session settings(IOW, 24 bit/48K, or whatever). The mixer can choose to change the sample rate if they want

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave