Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 AM

Default Rewire/Reason question

Finally decided to get the upgrade to Reason 7 as they dropped the requirement to use their Ignition Key or have your daw online for authorization - you can authorize it on a single computer; you can still use the ignition key if you have one. Last I used Reason and Rewire was on my old Sonar 8.3.1 Windoze system and the use of Rewire there was a doddle.

Did my research and watched some tutorial videos on getting PT and Rewire and Reason working together and for single instruments on tracks no problems. Also no problems with multiple tracks from PT rewired to Reason with single instruments in Reason and back to individual tracks in PT. What I'm having a problem with is if I go to use something in Reason that has a Combinator in it. Some Combinator patches can have multiple instruments inside but are supposed to play as one huge instrument. Where I'm having a problem is the routing from PT into Reason. In the PT Instrument track what do I select in the MIDI output field in the Instrument field to feed Reason so I get the whole Combinator to play as designed? There are several choices to make for sending to Reason and I don't know which to use, unlike with a single Malstrom (for example) the routing from PT is simple to figure out.

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Rewire/Reason question

awe damn, I just uninstalled the 32 bit version of Reason 7. I figured I would just use Reason 7 (64 bit) and not Rewire it. If I had the 32 bit version installed still I would check this first, but what about adding a mixer on the Combinator and choosing that in PT.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 PM

So I reinstalled the 32 bit version so I could use Rewire with Reason 7 again, and test this out. My first post was correct. Try adding in a mini mixer.

To learn the routing, first try looking at some of the preset combi's.

For example open Reason from Pro Tools (rewire)

Then load the Full Orchestra combi.

In PT you will set the MIDI to "Combinator 1 -channel-9" (thats how its listed on my system)

Then take a look at the back of the rack (tab key) and check out the audio routing.

Also take a look at the Reason 7 .pdf, which you can download from the propellerheads.se site

https://www.propellerheads.se/downlo...cle=reason_doc

search for "Combinator" or go to page 525 which is where the Combinator chapter begins. On page 530 you will see the suggestion to add a Mixer device when using several racks in a combi.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 AM

Mixers and audio out aren't the problem; it's what to pick as MIDI feed from PT to Reason. There's so many option for MIDI routing for a Combinator that uses more than one instrument in Reason it's not obvious what to use as a MIDI feed to trigger everything in the Combi. The audio routing in a Combi is easy to figure out it's the MIDI routing that is the issue. Block diagrams would be helpful.

By the way the Mac version doesn't have separate 32 and 64 bit versions. I just have one version and I select which to run by right clicking on the Program icon and selecting 'run in 32 bit mode'. Guess Windows has separate versions.

Thanks for the link to the manual - much appreciated.

QAPLA!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The audio routing in a Combi is easy to figure out it's the MIDI routing that is the issue. Block diagrams would be helpful.

By the way the Mac version doesn't have separate 32 and 64 bit versions. I just have one version and I select which to run by right clicking on the Program icon and selecting 'run in 32 bit mode'. Guess Windows has separate versions.

Thanks for the link to the manual - much appreciated.
In PT you will set the MIDI to "Combinator 1"
but you won't hear everything played at once without the mixer in the combi iirc.

Yes, on WIN you install the 32bit version separately, on OSX you can switch.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-09-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
In PT you will set the MIDI to "Combinator 1"
but you won't hear everything played at once without the mixer in the combi iirc.

Yes, on WIN you install the 32bit version separately, on OSX you can switch.
It's not that simple at least on my system. If I instantiate for example Ambient Bamboo Valley in Reason 7 (it has multiple Reason instruments) I get provided with, amongst other choices, in PT output field for MIDI Combinator 1 channel 3 and Combinator 1 (mix channel) channel 13 for my choices. If I select the first one and record some MIDI notes in PT it responds to the notes just fine but not volume cc7 messages recorded in the PT MIDI track. If I select the second one when I play my keyboard volume messages from my volume pedal and notes play fine but will not respond to any of the MIDI I just recorded in PT.

Got mixer in Reason.

QAPLA!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM

I have Reason 4 and had a hard time figuring out what the correct instrument was. I rename the patch in Reason right away to something I can recognize and that works. I don't know if this helps you, though. Best of luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby B. View Post
I have Reason 4 and had a hard time figuring out what the correct instrument was. I rename the patch in Reason right away to something I can recognize and that works. I don't know if this helps you, though. Best of luck.
Renaming doesn't have anything to do with the problem I'm having.

Found a way around the problem. What I do is to send the MIDI out to each instrument in Reason from a single MIDI stream in PT (whether via Instrument or MIDI tracks) using the control key while selecting a Reason instrument in the MIDI output field of the MIDI or Instrument track feeding MIDI to Reason. Apparently MIDI control changes don't get properly routed from PT to Reason via Rewire at this point in time although MIDI notes aren't a problem.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 05-09-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: additional info