Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Control Surface - Command 8 vs. Mackie Universal??

so, I've talked to a few friends and am thinking it might be nice to have a control surface to use. I looked at the Command 8 and also the Mackie Universal. I've done a little diggin on the board on the two and it seems people like both. The nice thing about the Mackie universal is I can expand to get 8 more faders by purchasing the add on piece. I think this would be nice! So, are there any drawbacks, things to consider with either of these two? I'll probably order it this week. Thanks
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-21-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Control Surface - Command 8 vs. Mackie Univers

Master Fader doesn't work on the Mackie.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Control Surface - Command 8 vs. Mackie Universal??

Can I ask why you have rulled out the Tascam US2400?
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 AM

Sorry, I lost my own post.

Thanks for the point on the master fader. I didn't even know about the Tascam until yesterday. I've looke dat it and haven't really made a decision as of yet. The one thing that is a drawback for me is no screen on the Tascam. Don't know if that is going to be a big deal or not.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-22-2006, 11:33 AM

Pay close attention to what the Tascam will actually allow to control or not to control before you let the $799 price sway you.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Pay close attention to what the Tascam will actually allow to control or not to control before you let the $799 price sway you.
What is it that you are trying to say without actually saying it. Do you have an actual complaint about it or have you noticed something that will really affect the practicality of the unit? Many people have mentioned the lack of track label but manage to work around it. I would rather the decreased price for 24 motorized faders as this is what I am looking for

I am probably buying this unit over the weekend, so I would like to know what you are talking about.

Then I can consider the huge difference in price in terms of what I might be missing.
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 AM

The lack of scribble strips is what put me off that unit…

It’s the same thing that made me never use my old BControl, that, and when I could be bothered to work out which track I was controlling (usually by only allowing that fader to show or by flashing the mute button with the mouse…) ((also with that particular unit you have to fight it whist changing automation as it is not touch sensitive…))

Without scribble strips it slows me down to the point where the controller becomes pointless as it’s quicker for me to mouse. & as I work on a 24 channel controller (Control|24 at work, Command|8, at home) I know that the 24 channels of the Tascam without the scribble strips would be much, much more confusing for me & plug-in changes would be so slow & complex (without sight of individually button/fader functions) they would be impractical if not almost impossible…

The Mackie is a great unit, and if I had to use other software like logic, cubase or sonar on a day to day basis as well as PT it would have been a much more serious option for me.

But now a days I only use Pro Tools & I wanted a controller where every single button & function was designed to get the best out of the Pro Tools software, I wanted something that would always be compatible & that I wouldn’t be left high & dry for months because the companies fell out or a new OS came out . Also if Digi bring out a new controller to replace the Command|8 they are going to offer me a sensible hardware exchange price, so my investment is as safe as it can be in this uncertain world…

N
Old 02-23-2006, 03:00 AM

Hi,

I have a Tascam US-2400 with LE v6.9 but the fader master and the joystick doesn't work.

I hope a new firmware from tascam as soon as possible...

Fran.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:20 AM

Quote:

But now a days I only use Pro Tools & I wanted a controller where every single button & function was designed to get the best out of the Pro Tools software, I wanted something that would always be compatible & that I wouldn’t be left high & dry for months because the companies fell out or a new OS came out .
N
I hate always pointing it out and turning things into a pissing contest (the reason why I despise "versus" threads), but this is how people get the impression that the MUC is a lesser controller than the C8. I'm not going to go to any lengths, but if you really believe that, I'd suggest you double check the front panel of the C8 and then look at the MCU (with the ProTools lexan overlay) and THEN tell me about getting the best out of PT.
Peace
Old 02-23-2006, 04:41 AM

I think you might be missing the point of that paragraph…

Everything on the Command|8 "was designed to get the best out of the Pro Tools software…"

The Digidesign units are designed & built to do one job & that job is to be a control surface for Pro Tools.

The Mackie unit was design to work extremely well with all the major software manufactures, but as such, in its very nature & design brief, it has to be a compromise… It does do an excellent job of that & if I chopped & changed between software I probably would have bought one for exactly that reason. However as I stated above the Command|8 better suited my needs for the reasons explained in my earlier post.

I have worked on the Mackie for a few weeks & in fact stated it was “a great unit…”

Cheers

N