Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Default Best Anti Virus Software for P Tools computer?

Hi,

I have my Ptools (Windows 7, PT9) computer hooked up to the net. I unplug the cable when using ptools / recording etc.. But, obviously the anti virus program is using resources in the background. Anyone know of a good program that you can easily turn completely off (so that it's not using any resources) and then on again quickly?

Or anyone know of a good one that uses minimal resources?

I'd prefer to not have any on there but it's very convenient to be able to download files right to it but obviously want to avoid a virus.

Tnx!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Best Anti Virus Software for P Tools computer?

I use Norton with good results - it's easy to disable for any amount of time. I run Pro Tools with both Norton on and the network card enabled without any problems. I did use to disable my Nic when using PT and noticed a performance boost, but I no longer need to with the I7.

BTW - I think you really need to disable your Nic instead of just unplugging your network cable - I think it's more the fact that your Nic is enabled that causes issues with ProTools.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I use Norton with good results - it's easy to disable for any amount of time. I run Pro Tools with both Norton on and the network card enabled without any problems. I did use to disable my Nic when using PT and noticed a performance boost, but I no longer need to with the I7.

BTW - I think you really need to disable your Nic instead of just unplugging your network cable - I think it's more the fact that your Nic is enabled that causes issues with ProTools.
What version (360, etc) are you running, and how do you stop it?

Thanks...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I use Norton with good results - it's easy to disable for any amount of time. I run Pro Tools with both Norton on and the network card enabled without any problems.
I too run Norton 360 4.0 with no problems. Disabling is as simple as right-clicking the Norton 360 icon in the show/hide Notification area on the Taskbar.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 PM

I have MS Security Essentials on my DAW. I have been running that and its predicessor One Care with PT since 2006-2007. No problems with PT. I leave it on. I also have PT on my Desktop and havent had any issues with Norton Internet Security and Pro Tools either. For the most part I think the need to disable AV kinda of died with single core processors.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-29-2011, 01:41 AM

You could do what most people do and thats completely stay off the internet on your workstation. I reccomemd norton though.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 AM

I use Sunbelt Vipre, always on, I forgot I even have an AV and the price is nice.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I have MS Security Essentials on my DAW. I have been running that and its predicessor One Care with PT since 2006-2007. No problems with PT. I leave it on. I also have PT on my Desktop and havent had any issues with Norton Internet Security and Pro Tools either. For the most part I think the need to disable AV kinda of died with single core processors.
I'm with sunburst - one of my machines (not my main one) runs PT9 fine with antivirus running & internet connected!!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axedye View Post
you could do what most people do and thats completely stay off the internet on your workstation.
+10000000
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Cool...thanks!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh