Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2024, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Committing Melodyne ARA Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hi View Post
Thing is, I don't want to remove the existing Melodyne processing on the tracks. I want to create new "committed" tracks without any processing, but leave the original MD'ed tracks alone. That's the whole point of committing. Otherwise I could just hit Freeze.
Melodyne ARA isn't doing anything on the newly committed track. Just because it's 'enabled' on the new track doesn't mean it's doing any processing - it won't do anything until you analyze and edit. Committing the track creates a new track with all the same parameters (I/O, plugins, automation, and yes, EA or Melodyne status). I don't see this as a bug, but I suppose one could ask to include EA and Melodyne status in the commit dialog as a feature request.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-01-2024, 11:46 AM

I think they leave Melodyne ARA on the new track because that's what you would expect if using Melodyne for elastic audio, you'd want the new cm track to also follow any later tempo changes to the session.

If the source track was using tick timebase then the new track will as well, so Melodyne ARA will analyze it again, but it won't do any processing in any case, as mentioned above here.

Keeping or discarding the ARA instance based on what timebase the track uses could be more confusing than just leaving it there for later processing needs.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Melodyne ARA isn't doing anything on the newly committed track. Just because it's 'enabled' on the new track doesn't mean it's doing any processing - it won't do anything until you analyze and edit. Committing the track creates a new track with all the same parameters (I/O, plugins, automation, and yes, EA or Melodyne status). I don't see this as a bug, but I suppose one could ask to include EA and Melodyne status in the commit dialog as a feature request.
This is counter to the whole concept of "Commit". Give me one example where someone needs to "Commit" DSP processing, yet still wants Melodyne or any other Elastic Audio processing instantiated on the resulting track, even though the effects of Melodyne or Elastic Audio are also committed in the process. You can't. It's illogical and counterproductive. Melodyne and Elastic Audio happen upstream from any other plugins. To commit a subsequent plugin while leaving the earlier DSP of Elastic Audio is anathema to the entire concept of Commit. The logical result of a Commit is for all DSP to be rendered, period.

It is a bug, and creates an unnecessary step to manually turn it off on the Committed track. Plus, I've had examples where the following superfluous Melodyne processing actually messed up playback until I discovered it and reverted it. So, no, it's not harmless. Melodyne is a buggy piece of ****, too, and PT's ARA implementation is garbage, too, (have you not lost all your processing for no reason yet? because if not, then you will at some point.) which is why we have to Commit these tracks in the first place. Already a kludge to compensate for shoddy programming. So happy to jump through hoops to make up for their deficient coding skills. "Feature request". Yeah, that's rich.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prspn View Post
I think they leave Melodyne ARA on the new track because that's what you would expect if using Melodyne for elastic audio, you'd want the new cm track to also follow any later tempo changes to the session.

If the source track was using tick timebase then the new track will as well, so Melodyne ARA will analyze it again, but it won't do any processing in any case, as mentioned above here.

Keeping or discarding the ARA instance based on what timebase the track uses could be more confusing than just leaving it there for later processing needs.
Wrong. Illogical. The idea that one would commit all Melodyne / Elastic Audio processing to a new audio file, and then require Melodyne / Elastic Audio to be enabled on the resultant track as well is redundant, or a sign of the worst user incompetence I can imagine.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:19 AM

The issue is that when the ARA Melodyne is committed for the entire track, why does the resulting track still show Melodyne in the first box on the Edit window? It does not work that way when you commit an elastic audio track. Seems like they should work the same way.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale Eckstein View Post
The issue is that when the ARA Melodyne is committed for the entire track, why does the resulting track still show Melodyne in the first box on the Edit window? It does not work that way when you commit an elastic audio track. Seems like they should work the same way.
They do work the same way, or at least they do here.
(PT 2023.12.1 on macOS)