Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2019, 12:15 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

avid doesn't understand you cant have monopolistic practices AND be a services company. These things dont mix. I dont need a mba to figure it out.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM

*** From Avid's official announcement:

"For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license"

*** From Avid's official "Pro Tools - Summary of Pricing Changes":

PT SW Perpetual Renewal --- Current Price: $99 --- New Price: $199

Seriously?

So customers who committed to Pro Tools by purchasing a perpetual license are the most penalized with this change?

And the excuse is because the "industry" is moving to a subscription model?

Actually, before moving to a subscription model, technology companies need to transition their software development model, PM, processes, release management, etc. to an agile methodology that supports such a subscription model. This leads to more frequent software updates/upgrades releases, which provides customers adequate and fair value against their recurring payments.

In the last year, the frequency of Pro Tools updates does not indicate Avid made that transition yet (at least not successfully) - Case in point, the almost one year delay before PT got Mojave support - And yet, we kept on paying our software update fees hoping that eventually they'll get there.

But now, they go on and double the price of software updates for perpetual licenses, and only for the standard/vanilla version.

Yet, there's no information in that announcement regarding what Avid did to improve their software development framework nor their release schedules, so if last year is any indication it's pretty certain next year won't be any better. Except that now we'll pay twice the price! Nice.

The message is loud and clear.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Also consider this... Avid wants to embrace Adobes CC, save one problem... price. Lets talk value proposition....

For 52.99 a month, you get ALL of Adobes apps. That is a reasonable price. Now contrast that to AVIDs subscription model of 29.00 per month for ONE app. This has #fail written all over it.

Perhaps AVID should sell PT to Adobe. At least I could get Photoshop, Acrobat, Premier, AND Pro Tools for 52.99 a month.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/...MQYMW&mv=other
Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
*** From Avid's official announcement:

"For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license"

*** From Avid's official "Pro Tools - Summary of Pricing Changes":

PT SW Perpetual Renewal --- Current Price: $99 --- New Price: $199

Seriously?

So customers who committed to Pro Tools by purchasing a perpetual license are the most penalized with this change?

And the excuse is because the "industry" is moving to a subscription model?

Actually, before moving to a subscription model, technology companies need to transition their software development model, PM, processes, release management, etc. to an agile methodology that supports such a subscription model. This leads to more frequent software updates/upgrades releases, which provides customers adequate and fair value against their recurring payments.

In the last year, the frequency of Pro Tools updates does not indicate Avid made that transition yet (at least not successfully) - Case in point, the almost one year delay before PT got Mojave support - And yet, we kept on paying our software update fees hoping that eventually they'll get there.

But now, they go on and double the price of software updates for perpetual licenses, and only for the standard/vanilla version.

Yet, there's no information in that announcement regarding what Avid did to improve their software development framework nor their release schedules, so if last year is any indication it's pretty certain next year won't be any better. Except that now we'll pay twice the price! Nice.

The message is loud and clear.
whats funny is that said the top range was 33% more when its 100% more. lol
Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
whats funny is that said the top range was 33% more when its 100% more. like lol.
LOL! What they did was spill the profit increase they believe they will receive with this scheme.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM

"This is my stop."
Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM

I hate to admit it but Avid knows most of there customers will make the adjustment and fall in line. Most will do it! Just think of how much money they are going to make on renewals before July. We all go through this every time they come up with these insane changes and they know this, but they also know they got you. They justify these changes by saying according to our survey this is what most people want but surveys are only accurate based on the amount of people who take it. The only thing that is going to make a difference is if people stop buying in to these changes and come on lets be honest here we know that is not going to happen. We might as well just close down this thread and others like it but of course if you just need to vent then that’s all these threads will do for you. I have made my last update which will last until 11/15/2020 and if things keep going the way they are, this will be my last update. We have to remember who made Pro Tools the industry standard it was. If you really want to send your voice to Avid close your wallet.

Last edited by zion; 06-18-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
LOL! What they did was spill the profit increase they believe they will receive with this scheme.
probably. If only they could beat the code monkeys living in war torn ukraine they could turn that 33% into 35%
Old 06-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I hate to admit it but Avid knows most of there customers will make the adjustment and fall in line. Most will do it! Just think of how much money they are going to make on renewals before July. We all go through this every time they come up with these insane changes and they know this, but they also know they got you. They justify these changes by saying according to our survey this is what most people want but surveys are only accurate base on the amount of people who take it. The only thing that is going to make a difference is if people stop buying in to these changes and come on lets be honest here we know that is not going to happen. We might as well just close down this thread and others like it but of course if you just need to vent then that’s all these threads will do for you. I have made my last update which will last until 11/15/2020 and if things keep going the way they are, this will be my last update. We have to remember who made Pro Tools the industry standard it was. If you really want to send your voice to Avid close your wallet.

That hits the head of the nail there, my friend.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Klinger View Post
That hits the head of the nail there, my friend.
avid is on a tight rope. Just lol if anyone thinks they could survive a mass exodus. They have like 55 mill in cash and 200 mill in short term debt. As much as we want to think they have us by the balls someone has them by the balls worse.