Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 AM

Default How to bus to Outputs 5-6?

I'm trying to buss a drum mix to a stereo aux channel outputting to 5 & 6 but there's no audio coming thru the Digi Snakes Outputs 5 & 6.

Am I missing something??
Old 07-31-2016, 11:39 AM

Default Re: How to bus to Outputs 5-6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
I'm trying to buss a drum mix to a stereo aux channel outputting to 5 & 6 but there's no audio coming thru the Digi Snakes Outputs 5 & 6.

Am I missing something??
Folks here cant realistically help when you provide no useful information. We have no idea what you are doing, what interfaces you are working with, how you are determining there is "no audio" on any connection, or what standard troubleshooting you have tried.

Have you tried defaulting the output and bus IO? Is there activity/moving meters showing on the master fader (add one to see). Describe you setup, what interface, and computer, and post clear screenshots of the bus setup in the mixer window and of the output and bus IO pages. Start at the "help us help" you link up top of each DUC web page to see they type of information expected.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 PM

Ok, my interface is a Digi 192 I/O and am using a Control 24.

I've got BFD 3 loaded in a session Instrument track and what I'm trying to do is send an independent stereo mix to two stereo monitors by the V-Drum kit out in a separate area. The first thing I did was create a Stereo Aux channel and bussed BFD to the Aux channel-Input Buss 1&2. I then set the output of that Aux channel to 5&6. I then connected the 5&6 Monitor Out snake fan out cables from the Control 24 to the inputs of the two monitors. When BFD is playing, you can see the audio signal displayed in the Aux channel and on the Bus Output Meters on the Control 24 but no audio is being sent out. I tried outputs 7&8 also but had the same results. I also tried Output channels 3&4 under Alt Monitor and this worked fine but I want an independent level send.

Am I missing something here? A setting? I'm running Pro Tools HD 10.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, my interface is a Digi 192 I/O and am using a Control 24.

I've got BFD 3 loaded in a session Instrument track and what I'm trying to do is send an independent stereo mix to two stereo monitors by the V-Drum kit out in a separate area. The first thing I did was create a Stereo Aux channel and bussed BFD to the Aux channel-Input Buss 1&2. I then set the output of that Aux channel to 5&6. I then connected the 5&6 Monitor Out snake fan out cables from the Control 24 to the inputs of the two monitors. When BFD is playing, you can see the audio signal displayed in the Aux channel and on the Bus Output Meters on the Control 24 but no audio is being sent out. I tried outputs 7&8 also but had the same results. I also tried Output channels 3&4 under Alt Monitor and this worked fine but I want an independent level send.

Am I missing something here? A setting? I'm running Pro Tools HD 10.

Thanks in advance!
Cable/snake is old? new? Those outputs have worked before? What model snake? from who?
If nothing else you can confirm the pinout wiring of he snake with a continuity checker/multimeter. And/or put a hot signal gen sine wave on the output and probe the pinouts on the DB-25 connector with a AC voltmeter/multimeter to confirm it is there and then go find if its on any of the outputs on the snake.

You've tested the other outputs 3/4 with the same monitors and monitor cables (from connecting extra cables from the snake) so you know they work?

I'd do the above quick test first, but after that... again, did you default the IO?

If you put a master fader on that output (5/6) what do you see? (in Pro Tools not the Control24, forget that for troubleshooting now). You have sends pre or post fader? Fader turned up? Again screenshot time... (ones I asked for before). Show us exactly what you are doing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-31-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:04 PM

I appreciate the "troubleshooting" you're steering towards but I'm inclined to think this is a routing issue. I'm running a stereo session. Could that be the problem? Does the session need to be set up as a 5.1 session to have the other output channels available?

I haven't had the need to do any 5.1 work so.....

I look forward to your ideas. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I look forward to your ideas. Thanks!
Nothing to do with 5.1.

My idea is you troubleshoot as suggested, and provide screenshots etc.

Have you even defaulted IO yet? tested if the physical cable is contiguous? That's should be <10 minutes work.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:39 PM

Ok after reading up on Chapter 8 Monitor section in the manual, I found that I needed to change the Stereo mode in Utilities from "Single" to "Multi". Since I have the second pair of monitors connected to monitor outputs 5&6, selecting 5.1 in the Monitoring section immediately sent the channels assigned to outputs 5&6 to the appropriate speakers. I can adjust the level via the channel's fader.

That's one solution. I believe the other solution would be a custom db25 to db25 w/specific fan out sending channels 1&2 to Control 24's Source input on male db25 and channel's 3 thru 8, as an example to any external sources as either XLR or 1/4" TRS plugs.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Ok after reading up on Chapter 8 Monitor section in the manual, I found that I needed to change the Stereo mode in Utilities from "Single" to "Multi". Since I have the second pair of monitors connected to monitor outputs 5&6, selecting 5.1 in the Monitoring section immediately sent the channels assigned to outputs 5&6 to the appropriate speakers. I can adjust the level via the channel's fader.

That's one solution. I believe the other solution would be a custom db25 to db25 w/specific fan out sending channels 1&2 to Control 24's Source input on male db25 and channel's 3 thru 8, as an example to any external sources as either XLR or 1/4" TRS plugs.
So you are not just coming out the back of the interface, and are going thought the Control24 monitoring. I did not follow that before and what you were saying about 5.1 makes sense. Sorry for that.