Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2017, 04:33 AM

Default Re: alt-H shift by sample seems completely broken, and therefore useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
no need to check actual gap, as i've confirmed it by doing all the manual moves myself remember. If you have link clip and timeline enabled, and samples enabled in your counter, that's all you will need, i guarantee it.

Might as well start from a clip that's at zero as that makes even easier. move later with alt-h any number of samples, then simply highlight the clip if it isn't already after the move. The number in your transport is the amount it actually moved. I have tested this with manual nudging afterwards and duplicated track nulling, about 50 times. so if yours gives the right number, then it simply means yours works.

Which would mean it's a mac bug.

and it's also really weird how little traction this is getting. I'll be patient and hopefully within 2 weeks someone high up will see it. it is holidays after all :)
Won't get any traction unless reported to Avid. Sure some of their people might post here but not the ones that have anything to do with the coding or that can push this up the food chain.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Re: alt-H shift by sample seems completely broken, and therefore useless

Here is my, admittedly, brief test. Again W10, PT12.8.3.

Using the Shift Dialogue and Samples:

100 samples moving a clip twice, the distance between the previous clip and the clip moved was 100 samples and 200 samples, measured by highlighting the gap between clips. The value in the Shift Dialogue did not change.

1000 samples moving a clip twice, the distance between the previous clip and the clip moved was 1000 samples and 2000 samples, measured by highlighting the gap between clips. The value in the Shift Dialogue did not change.

1054 samples moving a clip four times, the distance between the previous clip and the clip moved was 1054 samples, 2108 samples, 3162 samples and 4126 samples, measured by highlighting the gap between clips. The value in the Shift Dialogue did not change.

Seems to be working as intended on my computer at least.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Here is my, admittedly, brief test. Again W10, PT12.8.3.

Using the Shift Dialogue and Samples:

100 samples moving a clip twice, the distance between the previous clip and the clip moved was 100 samples and 200 samples, measured by highlighting the gap between clips. The value in the Shift Dialogue did not change.

1000 samples moving a clip twice, the distance between the previous clip and the clip moved was 1000 samples and 2000 samples, measured by highlighting the gap between clips. The value in the Shift Dialogue did not change.

1054 samples moving a clip four times, the distance between the previous clip and the clip moved was 1054 samples, 2108 samples, 3162 samples and 4126 samples, measured by highlighting the gap between clips. The value in the Shift Dialogue did not change.

Seems to be working as intended on my computer at least.
THANK YOU so much. That was really cool of you. It's also exciting to me that the feature works on windows.. this confirms it's a bug in the mac version and that it will be fixed.. I just have to wait a few more days to buy my support plan (my PT license is dec 31 to dec 31 so i want them to fall on the same day).
What is broken can always be fixed :)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
What is broken can always be fixed :)
You would think so but with Avid and a lot of other developers that hasn't always been the truth. Not saying things can't be fixed but that a developer needs to have the will to fix something. And also in fixing that something else doesn't break (how many times has that happened with PT ).

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 12-22-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: corrected grammar
Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Yeah I moaned about this a while ago.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378316
Old 12-22-2017, 03:40 PM

yes, it looks like this is the same issue from 2016.

what is funny, the alt-h function works as intended on 12.7.1 under Mavericks
Old 12-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Yeah I moaned about this a while ago.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378316
oh no, that's depressing, that report is almost from 2 years ago! ****!

They better fix it, that's what I am paying for.. things to be fixed.

Because of the sidechain lack of ADC, i rely on this feature.

I am glad it's 100% confirmed on mac as broken, i am going to hound them about it like nobody's business
Old 01-21-2018, 04:33 AM

Just an update. I started a support case and Avid responded within a few hours!

Ok, it's a known issue, they have it in their database.

What they didn't comment on was that I mentioned it seems to work on windows.

They simply told me that if the sample ruler is not chosen, that's when it happens.

So i am going to switch over a bars and beats project to the sample ruler now, and test it, make sure it doesn't muck up any other clip positions.. i'll do a sample nudge with alt-h and i'll then put the ruler back..

Will let y'all know if it worked when i have thoroughly tested.

Reason I am posting this before testing is perhaps the windows user who didn't have any issues, could chime in and say whether they use the sample ruler.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 AM

Ok, i have tested this on windows, and it works in all scenarios, even when bars and beats is the only ruler.

To get it to work on mac, you have to enable the samples ruler as the primary (can have bars beats as secondary),

then close and reload the project.. as it has to load with the sample ruler as primary.

You can't just change it mid project, well you can, but you have to save and close and reload.

When finished, you can put back whatever primary ruler you were using, if it wasn't the samples one.

It's a workaround, but the fact the windows version is flawless in this regard, means so should the mac.

I once started a support topic that avid support was the worst i had ever encountered, and i have to say, after my second experience with them, this is true.

There is absolutely no reason to have paid for the support plan, as they simply ignore email replies. Waiting almost 2 weeks now, not one reply to my first reply to their initial query reply. LOL.

I have given up, and will be asking a refund for the support plan. It's ridiculous.

One of the coders of Logic from Apple, actually answered me about the automation bug.. personally.. This speaks volumes that apple care about Logic.. he was really concerned..

Anyway.. i wish avid cared about customers who PAY for a plan TO speak to them.

Incredible. I don't know what else to say.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 AM

pro tools 2018 has the exact same issue