Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2020, 10:06 PM
macfreak86 macfreak86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 35
Default Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Hello,

Is the universal audio Apollo 8 rack compatible with pro tools ultimate? What other 3rd party interfaces are compatible that offer usb c connectivity? I couldn’t find any 3rd party interfaces listed on Avid’s website on the page that shows approved audio interfaces for pro tools ultimate. I like that it has usb c connectivity built in. I didn’t want to have to get the HD native+omni version and have a separate outboard interface sitting on my desk. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2020, 10:19 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14,658
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak86 View Post
Hello,

Is the universal audio Apollo 8 rack compatible with pro tools ultimate? What other 3rd party interfaces are compatible that offer usb c connectivity? I couldn’t find any 3rd party interfaces listed on Avid’s website on the page that shows approved audio interfaces for pro tools ultimate. I like that it has usb c connectivity built in. I didn’t want to have to get the HD native+omni version and have a separate outboard interface sitting on my desk. Thanks!
Pro Tools software should be compatible with any Core Audio interface. And nothing here is specific to Ultimate vs Standard. It's all the same. Unless you get into the weeds of specific IO needs like say how many IO are available to support surround sounds use with Ultimate.

I'm guessing you really mean "Thunderbolt" not "USB-C". But whether you need Thunderbolt (hopefully lower latency) or USB-2/-3 whatever is something for you to sort out with your overall needs and budget.

Avid is not the place to look. Go to any dealer, Sweetwater, Vintage King, etc. and ask them for advice. Talk with a sales rep about your exact IO needs and they can walk you through the options. ... we have no idea what you need, and there are many many choices from UAD, Apollo, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus, and many others.

Every UAD Thunderbolt, Firewire and USB interface sure works with Pro Tools. You asked about the UAD Apollo 8, but that is a Thunderbolt 2 Interface, the UAD Apollo x8 is the Thunderbolt 3 interface (that uses a USB-C connector). And UAD vs other interfaces is often a question about whether you want to enter, and pay for, their plugin ecosystem. Do you specifically want their low(ish) latency Apollo Console monitoring? Do you understand the high-buffer requirements for running UAD plugins in a DAW?

And you posted in the HDX and HD Native forum section... if you are running either of that hardware none of these interfaces are compatible, they both require DigiLink interfaces.

I'm seeing enough stuff here that I think you really will be best served by getting on the phone with a Sweetwater or Vintage King sales rep.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-02-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-03-2020, 04:29 AM
macfreak86 macfreak86 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 35
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Pro Tools software should be compatible with any Core Audio interface. And nothing here is specific to Ultimate vs Standard. It's all the same. Unless you get into the weeds of specific IO needs like say how many IO are available to support surround sounds use with Ultimate.

I'm guessing you really mean "Thunderbolt" not "USB-C". But whether you need Thunderbolt (hopefully lower latency) or USB-2/-3 whatever is something for you to sort out with your overall needs and budget.

Avid is not the place to look. Go to any dealer, Sweetwater, Vintage King, etc. and ask them for advice. Talk with a sales rep about your exact IO needs and they can walk you through the options. ... we have no idea what you need, and there are many many choices from UAD, Apollo, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus, and many others.

Every UAD Thunderbolt, Firewire and USB interface sure works with Pro Tools. You asked about the UAD Apollo 8, but that is a Thunderbolt 2 Interface, the UAD Apollo x8 is the Thunderbolt 3 interface (that uses a USB-C connector). And UAD vs other interfaces is often a question about whether you want to enter, and pay for, their plugin ecosystem. Do you specifically want their low(ish) latency Apollo Console monitoring? Do you understand the high-buffer requirements for running UAD plugins in a DAW?

And you posted in the HDX and HD Native forum section... if you are running either of that hardware none of these interfaces are compatible, they both require DigiLink interfaces.

I'm seeing enough stuff here that I think you really will be best served by getting on the phone with a Sweetwater or Vintage King sales rep.



I mean USB-C. USB-C is the newest generation thunderbolt for pc and Mac. The Apollo x6 is what I meant actually, it offers the new thunderbolt connection. Well I couldn’t find a pro tools ultimate section otherwise I would have posted there. So then you’re not able to tell me yes or no if I’m able to use the Apollo x6 with pro tools ultimate? Pro tools ultimate replaced HD.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-03-2020, 04:43 AM
uptheoctave uptheoctave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxfordshire and Geneva.
Posts: 316
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak86 View Post
I mean USB-C. USB-C is the newest generation thunderbolt for pc and Mac. The Apollo x6 is what I meant actually, it offers the new thunderbolt connection. Well I couldn’t find a pro tools ultimate section otherwise I would have posted there. So then you’re not able to tell me yes or no if I’m able to use the Apollo x6 with pro tools ultimate? Pro tools ultimate replaced HD.
I'm sorry but that isn't strictly true. You are conflating terms here.

USB-C is just the connector type.
USB-C carries USB, or Thunderbolt protocol, or USB power (plus some other alternate types).

The Apollo X6 is Thunderbolt 3 with a USB-C connector.
Yes, it works fine with Pro Tools Ultimate but you are limited to a maximum of 32 channels of IO, as you are with any non-digilink interface.
__________________
James Richmond
http://www.uptheoctave.com
Audio Production Reviews and Technique

Latest article for Pro Tools Expert:
"DAD Monitor Operating Module review"

https://bit.ly/30HGqPv
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14,658
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak86 View Post
I mean USB-C. USB-C is the newest generation thunderbolt for pc and Mac. The Apollo x6 is what I meant actually, it offers the new thunderbolt connection. Well I couldn’t find a pro tools ultimate section otherwise I would have posted there. So then you’re not able to tell me yes or no if I’m able to use the Apollo x6 with pro tools ultimate? Pro tools ultimate replaced HD.
No you meant Thunderbolt 3. A USB-C connector might carry USB 2, USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort, .. or more. No guarantee A USB-C port necessarily means Thunderbolt 3. I hope your Mac really has Thunderbolt 3.

I told you all (USB, FireWire and Thunderbolt) UAD interfaces work with Pro Tools. In practice the real complexity with third party interfaces is software compatibility. Will your specific Pro Tools Ultimate version, macOS version, driver (actually whole software bundle with UAD), be compatible? Luckily UAD provides good driver updates/compatibility.

HD software was renamed to Ultimate, but this forum area is about Avid HD and HDX *hardware*. Says so right in the title. Again, there is nothing specific to Ultimate in your question... Hopefully you do not have say a HDX card.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-03-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2020, 03:55 PM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,100
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak86 View Post
Hello,

Is the universal audio Apollo 8 rack compatible with pro tools ultimate? What other 3rd party interfaces are compatible that offer usb c connectivity? I couldn’t find any 3rd party interfaces listed on Avid’s website on the page that shows approved audio interfaces for pro tools ultimate. I like that it has usb c connectivity built in. I didn’t want to have to get the HD native+omni version and have a separate outboard interface sitting on my desk. Thanks!
The best way to efficient accurate specific help here is list you system specs in your signature like Other wise you may waste a page getting irrelevant information .
That said as Darrel mentioned PT Ultimate (just the software ) will work many 3rd party interfaces as will Regular PT
__________________
System :
Avid HD Omni I/O Interface ...Mid 2010 Mac Pro/ Apple 27"Cinema Display,,,,processor- 3.33 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" w/ Memory- 24 GB, Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI Graphics Card..... OS- Mojave 10.14.6, and PTHDN 2020.11 on on primary boot drive (SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951) FCPX files storage on Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and PT sessions storage on 2nd Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB -- both in dual drive Crest I/O PCIE controller adaptor card


"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2020, 10:52 PM
mightyduck mightyduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: los angeles united states
Posts: 457
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfreak86 View Post
Hello,

Is the universal audio Apollo 8 rack compatible with pro tools ultimate? What other 3rd party interfaces are compatible that offer usb c connectivity? I couldn’t find any 3rd party interfaces listed on Avid’s website on the page that shows approved audio interfaces for pro tools ultimate. I like that it has usb c connectivity built in. I didn’t want to have to get the HD native+omni version and have a separate outboard interface sitting on my desk. Thanks!
Pro Tools with third party audio interface?

Don't do that to yourself. Just don't. Maybe for mastering only applications or something like that, but otherwise you are defeating the purpose of the "compensate for input / output delay after record pass" feature. For no good reason, really. What the AVID interfaces sound bad to you or something? : )

You have to remember that the "I need special interfaces" obsession was one of the original plots of the evil hobos, before the Great Awakening.


Be careful and do not be deluded.



mightyduck
__________________
MD
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-21-2020, 04:55 PM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 13,170
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

Dont listen to people mentioning ”evil hobos” and misten to the thousands of users who have 3rd party Interfaces and Yes Apollo interfaces works Great and we have 5 of the X series and used the silver ones and the mk2 black 8P’s and now X series and we work with big artists you hear on the radio all day and NEVER had any issue with latency or anything at all ever for that matter. UA drivers are even better than our HDX3 system with Avid HD 16/16 interfaces and as Avids drivers seem to be hit and miss these days we are never firing up the HDX system anymore.

So Dont be afraid to get a tood Apollo or MOTU or RME etc as they all work great!
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2020, 02:14 AM
mightyduck mightyduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: los angeles united states
Posts: 457
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

There is no escaping the reality that you lose the "compensate after record pass" feature by using non - Digidesign / AVIDl interfaces.

Its like it brings a certain "sadness" and "regret" to the music. And that has been shown to attract evil hobos in the past. True that many formerly evil hobos have come over to the light. We see them with their Digi / AVID interfaces, gleaming in the sun, inspiring us to great heights, and stuff like that.


You may be able to get away with using an Aurora interface without causing trouble, but please be careful, you could hurt yourself or someone else.


Best,

mightyduck
__________________
MD
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-23-2020, 02:32 PM
arche3's Avatar
arche3 arche3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 968
Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate 3rd Party Interfaces

I'm so great I work with artists that you dream about before they even get on the radio.

And I use avid interfaces. The evil hobos might persuade but they lie.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro Tools 10.3.4 won't connect to third party interfaces dr_stevens Pro Tools 10 1 01-20-2018 09:39 PM
3rd Party Interfaces You Can ChangeThe Bit/Sample Rate Of From Within Pro Tools... The Weed Windows 14 09-14-2015 12:39 PM
Traditional Avid interfaces vs 3rd party interfaces aftermid Pro Tools 10 9 10-24-2012 02:12 PM
Pro Tools HD 9 with 3rd party interfaces duuuhhh Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 12 09-08-2011 09:31 PM
looking Cheap 3rd party interfaces for pro tools 9 gulagurk Windows 8 06-06-2011 02:50 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com