Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2013, 03:26 PM

Default To C24 or not to C24

Has anyone heard any more news about a C24 replacement? My Control 24 has bitten the dust, so I'd love to get a C24, but I don't want to go there and find out in January that there's a new S3 studio version or something, and the C24 is discontinued. But I really need a new controller, and I want something that's more like a board, rather than the Artist series. Argh.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Default Re: To C24 or not to C24

Nobody has those kinds of answers...

If Avid sticks to their recent policy, and I believe I've seen info indicating they intend to, it all comes down to two questions...answer "Yes" to either one and you will have an answer...

Will the C|24 pay for itself in five years?

Can I amortize it over five years?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks, Bill. Just not sure if I should try to wait until the January NAMM. I wish my Control 24 would have held out a little longer. Oh well. I guess a lot of us are in the same holding pattern.

Say they release some news of a C24 replacement in January. Any idea how long it would take to hit the shelves given previous product releases (S6, etc.)?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Hey

If I was a betting man I would wait until after NAMM and maybe even to NAB Las Vegas until I bought a new control surface as it is a major investment and we have all been there buying something only to find out an updated or even a brand new version just came out or is coming very soon so .. We are trying to sell off our D-Control 32 ES as it have been here for a while and it feels like S-6 is the new Studio Darling so we are waiting to see the trade in options and as soon as we know if there will be any we are buying a new S6 with all the bells and whistles

Regarding the timeframe it is impossible to say but again, I would expect that if something was announced at NAMM 2014 We should see that on the shelves summer 2014 so it is all a guessing game .. wanna buy a D-Control 32ES Mint Condition for lots of money

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Ha ha! If I only had that kind of money!

Good advice. Just hate waiting so long...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 PM

Default To C24 or not to C24

Actually, getting a good deal on a used DC ES or C24 near you might be an option too. Check it out.

I'm in the same boat as I have to move if I want to upgrade to 11 as my PC has finally been dropped...

I'll try to catch some time with the small Slate surface too but I'm not convinced it's for me. I know the Artist series isn't.

Darryl Ramm
Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 AM

I could be wrong, but my own guess is that the C|24 is probably going to be Avid's mid-level control for a couple of years. Keep in mind that Avid spent the time and money to create the drivers that allow the C|24 to be used with PT 11. And despite the claims of some in this forum, that is not a simple or inexpensive operation.

But there is a certain S6 "wild card" in the wind...

You will recall that some Avid dealers posted prices right after the S6 was announced and there was quite a bit of "push back" ($10K for a producer's desk and a set of legs?). Right after that, prices disappeared from the dealer's web sites.

Is Avid going to come out with "friendlier" pricing? We should know by the end of the month so it would probably be worth at least waiting until the first of the year before making a purchasing decision...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Groundcontrol: I hear you. I was checking out the smaller Raven at GC last week. I liked it more than I expected to, but it still seemed a little small for me and I do love having real faders. Maybe check one out and let me know what you think. It's definitely interesting to see it in person.

Bill: Sounds like a good idea to at least wait until January. And I know that making the PT11 cut was a big development hurdle and that might mean that Avid intends to keep the C24 in the lineup for a while.

Is something happening by the end of the month that might give us some idea about pricing on the S6?

Different thread, I know, but is it nuts to consider the SSL Nucleus? Probably a bad idea given that Eucon is the future for PT...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 AM

In a bit of the same boat here. We have a Control24 that we'll need to replace to move forward with ProTools 11.

Seeing as they have released the S6 and the S3L (Live controller), I bet it's only a short matter of time before they release the S3. Another reason I'm pretty sure the C|24 will be discontinued sooner than later is the lack of Eucon. It seems to be the direction they want all their controllers to go in.

In the meantime, we don't upgrade to ProTools 11, or we get some Artist Mixes to fill the gap. We already have monitor control covered.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:07 PM

I just wish my Control 24 were working properly.

NHAUDIO: what are you using for monitoring?