Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins

Old 09-21-2013, 04:20 AM

Default Waves 8 / 9 dual monitor - what a mess!

What a horrendous mess - need some help here I think.

OK. I got Waves 8 (Gold, L3-16 and a couple of others). Rig is Win 7 64 bit, 2x Radeon HD5450 graphics cards driving 4 monitors, PT9 (now PT10), Cubase, Adobe Audition etc. Everything in v8 days just worked - bliss.

Then Waves 9 came out. In PT, I got blank GUIs - along with many others with multi monitors it seems. Waves 9 working fine in Cubase and Adobe Audition. At some point, it looked like a revision of Waves 9 started working ok in PT too, great - problem solved I thought.

Then last week I foolishly decided to trial a plugin (Morphoder). I downloaded the latest Waves 9 installer, and off I went. First time it worked. But now, many of the Waves plugins have gone back to a grey GUI. Some are unaffected. Turns out, most of the Waves plugins I have in PT are still V8! Some of the V9 ones open sometimes, usually they don't (or rather, they do with a grey GUI). I've looked for build numbers, but there doesn't seem any consistency beyond v8 always working and v9 being variable at best. One time it will open, then the next 10 times it'll be grey.

At this point, the whole thing seems to be in a real mess. In my Program Files (x86)/Common Files/ Digidesign/DAE/Plugins folder, there are shells for 8.0, 9.0 and 9.2. Meanwhile some of my VST programs such as Adobe Audition now have multiple plugin versions of the same thing, with no way to differentiate.

So. I'm thinking I need to blitz Waves from my computer completely, then reinstall VSTs to v9 ONLY, and RTAS to v8 ONLY. It's not a brilliant solution cos I want to go to PT11, but Waves makes that impossible for me at the moment. Anyway, what's the best way of nuking Waves completely, then going about that install? Or is there anything else I can try? My WUP is expired, and I'm not minded to shell out any more on it since the AAX forum here shows many of those with multi-monitor setups are still having the same grey GUI with Waves 9 AAX. Yuk.

As I say, what a mess. Thinking ultimately I may have to abandon Waves altogether to stay current with Pro Tools.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Waves 8 / 9 dual monitor - what a mess!

2x Radeon HD5450 graphics

There's your problem right there...Waves only supports one graphics card...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 AM

This has been a beef on the PC side for awhile. Last I knew Waves official response was.....that there wouldn't be one.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 AM

This problem is only in Pro Tools? If so, I hope this has been reported to Avid.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
2x Radeon HD5450 graphics

There's your problem right there...Waves only supports one graphics card...
Time to quit Waves then.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Single graphics card here and never an issue with Waves on dual monitors

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Single graphics card here and never an issue with Waves on dual monitors
That's fine.

It when you have dual cards and more than two monitors things go south.

Bob Ohlsson had a good point. I have no idea if this effects any other DAWs. It would be good to know if that's the case.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Waves is weird about graphics cards. I don't know what's up with OpenGL, but my MSI Afterburner on-screen display shows up in the GUI for any plugin by Waves.

Not an issue, I set up a key to disable the display... It's just strange.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 AM

This has been a huge flaw in the Waves GUI since the Version 9 release. It does seem to be the way Waves has chosen to work with Open GL.

It appears they cannot find a cure for this issue, so they have taken the position that they do not support multiple graphics cards.

Fortunately, no other plug-in developers are having this struggle, so finding substitutes for Waves appears to be the easy remedy for this.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
It appears they cannot find a cure for this issue, so they have taken the position that they do not support multiple graphics cards.
SLI is a can of worms I don't want to open, anyway. Extra heat and fan noise, conflicts such as this, no real studio benefit over a single card.