Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 12-05-2019, 06:43 AM

Default Plugin Windows S6 / Workstation

Hello DUC,

Trying to figure out how to have the plugin window pop up if I hit EQ on the S6 but not come up if I'm editing on pro tools, clicking on the timeline for example.

The User Pref;
Open Windows on Workstation When Editing Mode

Enables windows to pop up on when I attention or hit EQ on a track on the console but also does the same when I click on the timeline..

Anyone have any knowledge would greatly appreciate it.

Ta
Old 12-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Avid

Default Re: Plugin Windows S6 / Workstation

Greetings,

Before I respond with specifics, please let me know what versions of S6 and PT you are currently using as this functionality has changed over the past year on how the surface interacts with Pro Tools. Thanks.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 AM

Hi Jeff,

I'm running Pro Tools 2019.6 & S6 is running 19.5

Thanks
Old 12-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Avid

Thanks. I believe you simply need to look at the following few preferences. One of them can be found under the main Settings > User and the other under Home > Local Options (Gear).

First - Open Windows on Workstation Attention. I would disable this. If you still want to maintain the ability to Attention by clicking in the Edit Window you can set or remove that functionality by using the following prefs:

These options under Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area determine if your interactions in Pro Tools will or will not trigger an Attention on the surface. The one specific to clicking in the Edit Window is obviously Edit Window.

Lastly, if you do choose to enable Open Windows on Workstation Attention from above, this will operate on the following preference which can be found in the Home > Local Options (Gear) : Open Windows on Workstation When Knobs Assigned. You get to pick which section on the surface (or set to Off to do nothing) including the Master Module, Attention Knobs, etc.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Hi Jeff

I too I'm running Pro Tools 2019.6 & S6 is running 19.9.1

My problem is that if I don't have expand knob Zone active, when I attention a channel with the attention button, plugins don't open for that channel. .
Can you assist please . . ?
Best
Josh
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Avid

Greetings. I'm going to infer a bit here... If you don't use any any dedicated or toggle-able Attention Knob zones, then perhaps you are mostly looking at functions on the Master Module. If so, I would try the following which is more of a traditional workflow leveraging more of the Master Module and populating plug-in UI's in Pro Tools when a surface channel is Attentioned.

As you can see in the Home > Local Options, I have my Function and Knob Page Selected on Attention Change set to EQ first then DYN as a backup. This basically says I want to primarily see EQ - but otherwise show me DYN.

The General prefs at the top found in Settings > User tell me the following:
When I Attention a track from the Surface it will trigger populating the Master Module with (first EQ) and displaying the appropriate Plug-In UI for said EQ in Pro Tools. The preference below that says, if I touch any other touch-sensitive encoders - then open and show that type of Window - which is enabled or disabled with Open Windows When Editing Mode. If you only want Plug-Ins to ever open when touching an encoder then set that pref appropriately.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-05-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings. I'm going to infer a bit here... If you don't any any dedicated or toggle-able Attention Knob zones, then perhaps you are mostly looking at functions on the Master Module. If so, I would try the following which is more of a traditional workflow leveraging more of the Master Module and populating plug-in UI's in Pro Tools when a surface channel is Attentioned.

As you can see in the Home > Local Options, I have my Function and Knob Page Selected on Attention Change set to EQ first then DYN as a backup. This basically says I want to primarily see EQ - but otherwise show me DYN.

The General prefs at the top found in Settings > User tell me the following:
When I Attention a track from the Surface it will trigger populating the Master Module with (first EQ) and displaying the appropriate Plug-In UI for said EQ in Pro Tools. The preference below that says, if I touch any other touch-sensitive encoders - then open and show that type of Window - which is enabled or disabled with Open Windows When Editing Mode. If you only want Plug-Ins to ever open when touching an encoder then set that pref appropriately.

Jeff
Ok, thanks Jeff. .
I do generally have my expand knob zone active & set for eq /1 st plugin & the home screen displays dynamics. . I love this set up. It's the quickest. I run my hand along the front of the console using the triangular attention buttons.
But, some times I need to access the sends on those channels so I disable attention expand knob zone with soft key so I can get to the sends. . .
I don't generally want things opening when I'm in the edit window.
But thanks for your reply.
Best of regards . . .
Josh
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Avid

Understood. The #1 thing I would recommend then is to look at Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area and Disable the following:

Edit Window
Edit Selection Move Up/Down

Track Name would be optional based on your workflow and folding in Link Edit & Track Selection.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Understood. The #1 thing I would recommend then is to look at Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area and Disable the following:

Edit Window Done
Edit Selection Move Up/Down. Done

Track Name would be optional based on your workflow and folding in Link Edit & Track Selection. I'll experiment with these, thank you

best,

Jeff

Old 01-30-2020, 09:10 AM

Hi

Why everytime I hit the "INS" button on a channel strip the PAN Window of that track pops up on the Pro Tools?

Is there a way to avoid that?

thanks!
-----