Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2002, 03:18 PM

Default CD burn speed

I currently use Adaptec Jam to burn discs on an 8X burner. I remember that the Masterlist CD manual used to recommend always burning at the highest speed supported by your burner.

I have hundreds of disks at 8X, including many that have been sent off for replication, so maybe I shouldn't worry about this, but I'm wondering if Digi's recommendation still stands or if I should be burning critical audio disks at 1X or 2X rather than 8X.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 01-13-2002, 07:47 PM

Default Re: CD burn speed

It's rather more complicated than that. It has to do with the depth of the pits burned into the cd. For each burner and each type of media it's different. Burners have different laser temps and the dye in the media have different melting temps. Your best bet is to find out which dye type your burner manufacturer recommends and stick with that. They usually set the laser temp to work best at the highest speed of the burner.(Although they do self calibrate for temp) If you are lucky enough to have a cd manufacturer in your town that will test you error rates then that is the best way. But most people don't have that luxury. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2002, 07:47 PM

We burn rough mixes at no more than 4x, and critical audio always at 1x.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:07 AM

The media itself is a factor in determining the ideal speeed. For discs manufactured by Mitsui (OEM'ed right and left), there are *less* errors at higher speeds.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:09 PM

I was told by a CD replication plant in Montreal Canada to burn audio masters as fast as possible as high speed masters have less errors.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:51 PM

I forgot to mention. With a specific brand of CDs and this specific burner there were no uncorrectable errors at a certain speed. This mean I will stick with the CDs and the speed with this particular burner. And sleeps good at night

If you change the type of the CDs you have to have them examined again of course.

This is a more satisfying method than to rely on the manufacturer of the burner. Never knows how exact their recommendations are. Can they say that you mustn´t burn with fast speeds for accurate results without shooting them self in the foot for example?

John