Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2016, 12:00 AM

Default Pro tools / Control vs Artist Control

I'm using the PT Control app on my ipad right now to run faders, and it works pretty good. I also have a Artist Transport, but I just ordered an Artist Control today. I read somewhere that you can't use the PT Control on the Ipad in conjunction with the Aritst Control. Is this true?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Pro tools / Control vs Artist Control

Thats true. You can use Artist Mix and Transport but not the Artist Control as they cancel eachother out and doesn't work right now. Who knows about the future but as of right now that combo isn't working. We tried and tried some more but no go.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 AM

I think it's not the right time to invest in an Artist Control. Pro Tools Dock is near and it seems to me that it will be a better solution…

Best

Mark
Old 02-19-2016, 08:29 AM

FirmFlange

A little bit OT but have you had connection/communication problems with the Artist Transport? Anytime I reboot from sleep mode the Eucon software causes Pro Tools to freeze and then I have to restart both Eucon and Pro Tools everytime

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram, OSX 10.12.3
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, SSD drives running VE Pro 7
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo X8, Twin Duo & Quad Satellite Thunderbolt
Townsend Sphere L22 w/ Putnam Mic Collection
LUNA (I have Pro Tools 2020 as well)
Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
I think it's not the right time to invest in an Artist Control. Pro Tools Dock is near and it seems to me that it will be a better solution…

Best

Mark
I don't know, I love everything about the Artist Control except for its touch screen. If you are factoring in the price of an iPad as well as the price of the Dock, I think the Artist Control is a better deal for the money.

My only gripe for the Artist Control is its lousy touchscreen (great idea, poor hardware implementation). I was really really hoping the Control app would work in conjunction with it as that would solve that problem, but alas.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:04 PM

But what is left if you don't like the Artist Controls touchscreen? The faders? The wheel? I'm using an Artist Control for several years now and the touchscreen is the main thing to speed up my workflow. It was and is a good tool.
But I'm sure the complete touchscreen of an iPad can host more soft keys per page and has a better response than the Control ones. And the Docks controls look more like their built quality is in S3-style than in the Artists one.
In the end it's a question of personal taste and I can't see any advantages of the Artist Control than the price. And even the price argument is lame imho as the iPad is not limited to be used in the Dock only.

Best

Mark
Old 02-20-2016, 11:00 AM

In order of importance to me: the customizable soft keys, the 4 flying faders set to jump to wherever I click (I've got 2 Artist Mixes locked to my 8 main mix stems and my 8 main music stems, the Artist Control is my flying fader set), and the touch knobs for accessing EQ, Dyn, and Sends easily. Those are the things I love most about it and use a lot. I don't use the wheel as I've got an Artist Transport, but if I didn't I'm glad it and transport keys also exist on the surface.

The touch screen I use as a visual reference of my print tracks, and I WOULD use it all the time if it had better touch sensitivity.

The touch surround panner would have been a game-changer as well, if it had ever worked right and was square instead of round. Ah well, Spanner and V-Control make up for this (which incidentally I can run on my iPad while using my Artist Control in tandem).

Really the most powerful thing though about the whole Artist series range are the soft keys, fader layouts, and user customizations. It's the thing that made me fall in love with the Artist Series even after using Icons. I'm glad the S6 went this route, that's an amazing console and is like the Artist Series on steroids (although the price is also on steroids too).

All I'm saying is the Artist Control still gives an incredible amount of bang for it's buck, and if you don't already have an iPad you have to factor the cost of that into the Pro Tools Dock as well.

Either way,as for all the things I have loved about the Artist Series: the modularity of the controllers and the ability to buy piecemeal instead of one huge machine, the user customization and workflow options, the layouts and flying attention faders, etc... I'm glad all of this is all so heavily featured in the S6, etc line and their spin-off peripherals. It's a great way of working. I just wish all the development on the Artist series line hadn't stopped cold, they have an incredible cost to effectiveness ratio and could have been even better. Still, I'm not bashing the dock, I think these are all great steps to go in, I'm just saying don't bash the Artist Control as it's far from obsolete.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 AM

Sounds serious. I go on using my Artist Control for a while too. As I said before it's a good workhorse and speeds up my workflow. But we have a second studio that needs a new control. If the real PT Dock will be what the announcement promises we will decide for the dock and not an Artist Control.
IMHO it's a big difference if something is still valuable or if I would buy it again although there's new competitors. I compare it with smartphones: the two generations behind one still does everything I need. But if I need to buy a new one I would take the actual model if the price difference isn't that big.

Best

Mark
Old 02-27-2016, 03:02 PM

Guys I need your help. I am no techie. Purchased ASUS heavy duty computer and pro tools for recording. Did not choose a MAC. Long story. Purchased Avid Artist Control unit from Sweetwater to help workflow based on a recommendation from my salesperson. I loved the 002 and was looking for something hands on. Unfortunately I cannot get my A/C unit to communicate with my computer. I have been on the phone with Sweetwater tech four times and they cannot figure it out. I am running Windows 10. Computer or A/C does not see network. Have tried updating firmware, static ip address, automatic addresses, unit has been back to Avid for review. Still nothing. AVID ARE YOU LISTENING?? Why is it not seeing my network? I cannot get In touch with you and I do not have a support code. Are other PC owners having the same problem? Right now it is an expensive paperweight. At this point planning to return unit to Sweetwater. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help! Jim

ASUS G10 lots of gig space, hard drive, Windows 10, PT 12. Thank you!!
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM

To get it to work properly in Windows, I bought a cheap network card and dedicated it to the AC. I had some problems initially when I connected it to my network hub and expected it to communicate back to the computer.

By putting it on its own card, it works flawlessly in Windows 10.