Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 AM

Default a different answer.

I recently posted an inquiry asking if it is possible to record into Pro Tools,(9 or higher), without an interface. The answers I received were hands down No.
I just read a post and response on this category saying all one needs to accomplish this is a preamp and a DI. The op who posted seemed fed up with the available interface options. I am assuming that DI stands for direct input. Can anyone elaborate on this. I'm still interested. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:28 AM

Default Re: a different answer.

If you had an external preamp, and ran that into a DI for level matching, you would still need to connect the output of the DI into something on your computer that PT can use as a recording device.

It doesn't have to be an external interface, and could be your internal sound card, providing it has an ASIO compliant driver.

System Details
Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I recently posted an inquiry asking if it is possible to record into Pro Tools,(9 or higher), without an interface. The answers I received were hands down No.
I just read a post and response on this category saying all one needs to accomplish this is a preamp and a DI. The op who posted seemed fed up with the available interface options. I am assuming that DI stands for direct input. Can anyone elaborate on this. I'm still interested. Thanks.
It's an easy assumption to make on the definition of DI. It actual means 'Direct Injection' and that 'device' is an impedance matching tool used to change Hi impedance signals to low impedance signals. Generally it is used on instruments like Bass, guitars and keyboards to get a direct signal and change their Hi impedance signal to a low impedance signal that is suitable for a Microphone pre-amp.

The cost of doing this style of setup far exceeds the 'options' out there, as you are then pigeon holed into the A/d conversion of your on-board audio device. Is it possible? Yes. Are you likely going to get a signal into protools (using aggregate audio) yes.

Would I do it? I did, when I was learning...heck, I even had two seperate sound cards in a computer and didn't sync them. I would record 4 tracks at once this way in Cakewalk, then hand sync them via editing. Did it sound good? NOT a CHANCE! Vs actually having an interface and proper Mics!

If you're just trying to get sounds down? Why not just use Reaper, and your onboard mic? If you're interested in using Pro Tools, you should really step up to the plate and at least get a quality interface. There are better programs out there that are easier to use to 'cut your teeth on'.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 AM

thanks dr daw. So,it is possible but not recommended! Due to my ignorance of computer technology I guess I took Avids claim of "or no interface at all" literally! I think albee cleared up the question for me. When I did record in this manner I had the Audiophile 2496 card in my pc. As for moving up to a quality sound card, that takes $$ which I don't have. I love Pro Tools results when things go without problems.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 PM

The 2496 isn't a bad card, I still have a Delta 1010lt in my mastering/Nuendo rig and it works great. It's not the best sounding A/D conversion or set up, but it made me money...that's the idea, right?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-13-2014, 06:01 AM

dr, daw. I don't mean to drag this thread out but I'm still not clear on the subject. So, I can use a direct box,(your definition of a DI), plug my guitar or bass in to it's input, Plug the output, (3 conductor cable) into a microphone input on my Mackie board, use an aux send to take the signal to Pro Tools via my installed sound card, (the Audiophile 2496) and record. Am I correct on this? That's all I want to know and I appreciate your patience. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:34 AM

Absolutely Terry, make sure you're going into the Line in on the 2496, and if possible don't use an aux. Either use a 'direct out' on the Mackie, or if it has 'Inserts' half-jack it. This way it'll be pre fader, and likely only the mic pre circuit.

If you have to use the aux, try to use one that is Pre-fader, then you can use your mackie to monitor.

TO clarify, Guitar/Bass into the DI, Mic cable out of the DI into the mixer, 1/4" cable - RCA Line in (either left or right) on the 2496...record
Old 12-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks for your help doc.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM

No problem, that's what we're here for Have fun and don't hesitate to come back and ask more questions.