Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-12-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Question about updating Mac OSX w/ new updates

I was wondering... and this is probl common sense (which I sometimes have NONE of), but Is it usually ok to upgrade to the newest versions of Mac OSX when they get released? Or do you guys wait for Digi to approve them? Just where is that "list" anyway? Of approved OS's? In searchingI didn't see hardly a single complaint w/ 10.3.5, and I haven't seen many w/ 10.3.6 either. I'd like to be "current"... so I'm not sure what to do? Go for it? I'm not having any problems per se... but new updates aren't always about fixing "problems" as you know.

WWJD??

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 11-13-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Question about updating Mac OSX w/ new updates

Jesus would check the compatibility documents (link at the top of the page) and not upgrade to something that was unsupported by digi unless his rig is not currently in a "must-work" situation, and he has time to experiment and possibly re-install if things go terribly wrong. If you can't afford any downtime, then you shouldn't upgrade anything EVER unless you're ready to deal with the worst case scenario. It rarely happens, but you've got to be prepared for it if it does.

On a personal note, I'm running 10.3.6 and PTLE 6.4 runs fine with my Mbox, but in general 10.3.6 is a crappier upgrade than 10.3.5 was - Apple's really had a hard time with the panther upgrades, here's hoping Tiger will be better.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:50 AM

I haven't had problems with anything since upgrading to 10.3.5->10.3.6
What's so crappy about the upgrade?

Old 11-13-2004, 09:34 AM

Wait until the dust settles and see what problems folks are having before you make the upgrade, whether or not Digi qualify it. I always clone my boot volume before making the OS X upgrades. That way, if anything breaks, it's 10 minutes work to get back to where you started from. I use the latest and greatest from Apple for everything but ProTools, for which I still use 10.3.4.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:26 AM

Quote:
What's so crappy about the upgrade?
Nothing that has to do with PTLE, but Safari is possibly even buggier than it was before, there are more firewire problems popping up again, they can't even get Calculator to work correctly. There are numerous other problems with iTunes, iCal, Address Book... most of their own bundled software is still pretty buggy. Not that it should be bug free, but they've actually made things worse with these last 2 updates. For the record, my only complaint and problem is with Safari, but I support a lot of Apple users here in LA and have seen the full gamut, and apple has really been dropping the ball with it's OS upgrades lately. If they can't get firewire support right (esp. considering they take credit for inventing it) after a year of updates , it seems like a pretty serious issue that hopefully will be addressed in 10.4.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I always clone my boot volume before making the OS X upgrades.
Hey, what software do you use to clone your boot partition? Sorry, I'm new to macs!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I always clone my boot volume before making the OS X upgrades.
Hey, what software do you use to clone your boot partition? Sorry, I'm new to macs!
carbon copy cloner

check www.versioontracker.com or
http://www.bombich.com (developer site)

regs
Old 11-15-2004, 11:49 AM

I use the Restore function in Disk Utility, right there in the Utilities folder. I also use Synchronise!Pro X for scheduled backups,and could use it to back up the boot vol. but DU's so easy, works like a charm, so why bother with 3rd party software if you don't have to.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:10 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

I may be one of the few- but, I'm still working fine with Jaguar (10.2.8) and PTLE 6.1.2 on an 001. I'm most likely a dinosaur, but I don't feel the need to upgrade just for upgrading's sake. I use my main Mac (well, both of them, as one is a desktop, and the other is a PB 12") for audio/video production, and they're working fine- I wish I could keep DP 4 from "Unexpectedly Quitting" though- does DP 4 and my version of PTLE (see above) just not play nicely on the same machine? I've heard of some people's successes with this combo, but seems pretty unstable on my machine. FWIW, my PB only has DP 4 installed and runs fine, but the desktop (QS 2002, 933MHz) has both DP and the above version of PTLE on it, and it "Unexpectedly Quits" more than it runs. Although I have had it running smoothly a couple of times.
I guess, if anyone is running similar scenarios, maybe you can chime in with any problems you've had getting the two to play nicely, and how you went about fixing them.
All-in-all, I'm finding Jaguar (10.2.8) still to be pretty stable (except for the DP problems), and am using it day-in & day-out.

Mac QS 2002 (933/ 512MB RAM- I know...I'm jumping it to 1 GB for Christmas...yea!)
Jaguar (10.2.8)
PTLE 6.1.2/ DP 4.11 (I think..?)/ Mach V (w/ disk-streaming)
Old 11-15-2004, 10:52 PM

stick with panther 10.3.4 & protools 6.4 - without a doubt the best combination ever.