Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Focusrite 18i8 & the Qcon Pro X DAW

I've been spending so much time reading up on this DAW, that Audio interface that I confuse myself, so sorry if this is just the dumbest question ever. My M-Audio Project Mix i/O DAW, had the Audio Interface build right in. So, now that I'm going with a new system, I have a new DAW, the iCon Qcon Pro X. I've figured that since this DAW doesn't have an Audio interface, I needed a separate one so, I'm leaning towards the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. This is correct, right? When I get these different pieces in the same room huddled around the computer, I'll be able to make them all play together? Right?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Focusrite 18i8 & the Qcon Pro X DAW

As a point reference, people are naturally confused because you keep referring to the Project Mix and the Icon as DAWs - Digital Audio Workstations. They are not. A DAW is a software program like Pro Tools or Logic or Reaper etc. that manipulates audio (and yes, MIDI too). The Project Mix is an AD/DA converter to get audio into a DAW combined with a controller that can control functions of the DAW. The Icon is simply a controller with no AD/DA functions, which is why you need a separate interface.

That all said, having quickly looked at the Icon, while it does have a module to control Pro Tools, it uses Mackie's HUI protocol. TTBOMK, HUI has not been updated in some time and probably never will be, so not sure how much control of Pro Tools you're going to have. Given that they're close in price, you may want to look at Avid's Artist Mix, which uses Eucon rather than HUI.

Others more knowledgeable than I can chime in on the Artist Mix and the Scarlett 18i8. On Windows, Focusrite's drivers have not been stellar. RME's are one of if not the best drivers for an interface, but none of RME's interfaces are as budget friendly as the 18i8.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM

You're right. My terminology has been off base..Others have straightened me out on that. Going forward if I have to, I'll use 'Control Surface' for control of the faders, etc.... 'Audio interface' for an MBox or the Scarlett 18i8 etc.

Thanks for the info on the Qcon Pro X Control Surface. I think I'll be keeping the original box when it shows up. I'd looked at the Artist Mix and was leaning that way, till I noticed there's no control as far as Stopping, Fast Forwarding,Rewinding or a wheel to scrub through a track...etc. I thought I saw a related product that had these controls but now I can't find it.

I think if I can find one, I'm going to go with an MBox Pro, the older USB version....

Take care now, Richrdc

Last edited by RichrdC; 02-02-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:10 PM

You're probably thinking of the Artist Control, but it was discontinued on 2016.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction