Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2015, 12:41 AM

Default Plug in Latency Compensation Question

Hey guys I run Pro Tools 8 LE on windows XP with some Waves plug ins. I was wondering if this statement is true..

"To further confuse the matter, it’s only fair to point out that Pro Tools LE/M-Powered does, in fact, have some degree of fixed latency compensation built-in and any plug-in latency that falls within the hardware buffer should be compensated for adequately by this."

Taken from: http://www.musictech.net/2010/12/pro...orial-latency/

So i'm really trying to find out if I put a plug in on a track and it has 64 samples of latency and my H/W buffer size is set to 512 samples, will there or will there not be any delay/latency?

Will the track play back exactly as I recorded them or will it be off set by 64 samples even though my buffer size is set to 512 samples in Pro Tools 8 LE?

Hope I communicated that OK, any help would be great... Thanks a bunch
Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 PM

Didn't we see this same post a week ago in another thread? The compensation mentioned only relates to the buffer setting and would not correct for additional latency caused by plugins. If you have a mix going, that uses plugins with latency(and not all plugins HAVE latency), you should make those plugins inactive(not bypassed, but grey'd out) to do any overdubs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave