Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Default HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

Hello People.

I'm Really pulling my brains out on this one.

I have an HD Native + HD OMNI Interface
PTHD 9.0.3
HPZ200 Worksation + Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit + Service Pack 1

Which all are supported and were working ok.

Yesterday i sat down to install the PT9.0.5 update for Windows

and now i can't even start my PT!!!!

After installing i get a dialog that asks me to install a firmware update on the HD Native, and right about at 50% of the update i get an error message that reads "An unexpected error ocurred while transmitting a firmware image. Error found while verifying the write was done correctly. (-1167)"

I've found the same error but on Mac

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...hd+native+1167

Do i have to reinstall all the Windows OS from scratch ??? or is there any alternate solution?

I've already tried uninstalling and reseting the Firmware of the HD Native.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Re: HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

What I would do is reinstall 9.0.3 and update the native card to that firmware. I think that will work and just skip the 9.0.5 update for now.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Angry Re: HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

Ive already uninstalled PT and even reseted the firmware of the HD Native card and still no luck.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:28 PM

Unhappy Re: HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

So after a frustrating day, i go back home empty handed

I even reinstalled OS from scratch with no difference.

As last resort I'm going to try updating the card on a MacPro Intel and see if i can get the firmware updated.

@Brandonx1 thank you for the advise, i learned you could reset the HD Native, however it didn't work.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Avid

Would you possibly be able to move the card to a different slot and try 9.0.3 again? When you're doing an uninstall - are you making sure that the cards are completely uninstalled from the Device Manager?

I'm tracking these reports of errors like this with 9.0.5, but so far they seem to have different causes, so I'm not absolutely sure what may work for you or why you're experiencing the problem. If you can let me know the above it will help with our investigation.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Victory!!!

So after a week of having the studio gathering up dust, i've finally fixed the firmware issue!

I ended up mounting a Mac OS X 10.6.6 Bootable image with a PT9.0.5 on an external Firewire drive. Then i went to a friend who has a MacPro computer and made the firmware update without any hassle.

So my conclusion is Windows computers CAN'T do the HD Native Firmware updates (as weird and nonsense as it may sound).

If it helps you Avid Tech Support guys, i did noticed a peculiar thing while attempting uselessly to reset the firmware under Windows.

According to this procedure:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=409375

The HD Native card LEDs SHOULD blink in a different way after the computer has been restarted as stated in step No. 7

Quote:
After the computer has Restarted, the LED on the front side will remain blinking every second. The LED on the back side of the board will have a solid light followed by a quick 1/4 second flash.
however when trying to reset the card in the PC the LEDs kept blinking in the same state as described in step No. 5.

Quote:
Press the small button on the card a second time. The LED on the back side of the board will continue to flash every second and the LED on the front side of the board should come back on and blink every second.
Although the studio is up and running im working with only one processor because HD Native has CPU Clock issues and i get -9092 errors, which are only fixable by turning off one of the processors.

Hope this helps for future catastrophes.

Oh i Forgot,
Quote:
Would you possibly be able to move the card to a different slot and try 9.0.3 again? When you're doing an uninstall - are you making sure that the cards are completely uninstalled from the Device Manager?
Yes the Z200 has 2 PCIe slots and I did tried reseting the card in both slots with no different result.
Yes I did a full Uninstall including uninstall from device manager, I even formated my PC from scratch and reinstalled PT9.0.3 with the same result.

Last edited by Aditu; 09-02-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditu View Post
So my conclusion is Windows computers CAN'T do the HD Native Firmware updates (as weird and nonsense as it may sound).
You're right, it does sound weird and nonsensical cause I've jumped from Pro Tools 9.0.3 to Pro Tools 9.0.5 and back to Pro Tools 9.0.3 a couple of times on a Windows 7 HD Native system. Point is Updating Native HD card can be hassle free.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM

I am having this same issue. there are only a handful of these cases reported on the DUC and even fewer for windows machines. I tried everything short of reloading the OS:
-I reinstalled both versions 9.0 and 9.05,
-I tried reinstalling the card into different pcie slots
-Also tried resetting the card to factory settings using avid's instructions.

Is there anything I can do besides getting the firmware loaded on another computer? Has anyone got a success story that doesnt involve a separate hdd with a different os on it?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM

I'm running into the same issue (Windows 7, 64 bit).
No luck attempting to install repeatedly, tried switching the card back to 1.0, I can't really change the slot since I don't have a spare x4 pcie slot and I do not have an extra computer to do the upgrade on.

It seems like this is a common problem on Mac. Avid actually proposes to simply bring out an extra MacBook Pro to do the upgrade. I'm confused both because Avid seems to think that that's an acceptable solution and also because last time I looked, a macbook doesn't have a pcie slot. I guess we should also have an external pcie box lying around?

Anyway, if anyone has a solution that would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn View Post
I'm running into the same issue (Windows 7, 64 bit).
No luck attempting to install repeatedly, tried switching the card back to 1.0, I can't really change the slot since I don't have a spare x4 pcie slot and I do not have an extra computer to do the upgrade on.

It seems like this is a common problem on Mac. Avid actually proposes to simply bring out an extra MacBook Pro to do the upgrade. I'm confused both because Avid seems to think that that's an acceptable solution and also because last time I looked, a macbook doesn't have a pcie slot. I guess we should also have an external pcie box lying around?

Anyway, if anyone has a solution that would be very much appreciated.
There's a kbase with info on solutions for errors like these:

kb419331

If multiple tried to update the firmware are failing (per the instructions in that kbase) you may need to contact support by phone for further assistance.