Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Default Buzz and Hum on Audio Track

Windows10 ProTools 12.7.1 Focusrite interface 6i6

I am trying to record a bass track using Line Out from the bass amplifier. I am getting a very loud 60hz line hum and a loud buzzing sound as well.

We have tried different cords, ground switches, different outlets, different multiple outlet boxes and tried to get rid of the buzz and hum using EQ.

Can anyone give me a simple solution to get rid of the buzz, a filter, cord etc.? It only occurs on Audio tracks, never Instrument tracks.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Buzz and Hum on Audio Track

Have you tried a good direct box? Passive boxes(like the Radial JDI) have a transformer to provide isolation from ground loops(which is likely what you have). Other options: plug the bass amp into the same outlet as the computer and interface. Use an XLR barrel that is wired as a Pin-1 lift(pins 2 and 3 are connected thru, but pin 1 is not). Both of these ideas can often fix a ground loop.

Sometimes, its actually coming from the instrument, especially if it uses single-coil pickups. I have a Peavey Millenium bass with the typical Jazz-bass pickups that are single and it will hum pretty bad if I use 1 pickup, but they wired it so using both together creates a humbucking setup, making it quiet. But...all guitars and basses buzz in my control room because of the rack and my only solutions are; move the player into another room, or run noise reduction plugins after tracking is done. Izotope and waves have some very good plugins for that and both are available for free trial(commit the track before the trial period runs out).

If the noise is higher frequencies and only is heard when a note fades, you can insert the 1-band EQ III. Set it as a low-pass with the frequency all the way to the top. Automate the frequency parameter and as notes fade, have the freq knob slide down to 1-2 KHz to roll off the buzz(this works great on strat/tele guitars with noisy single-coil pickups).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-14-2018, 02:04 PM

..and you can try forgetting the amp all together and just go into a DI with the bass and use an amp sim plugin if needed. The amp may be contributing to a ground loop, or just amplifying hum already being picked up by the bass. The bass may still want a good isolating/transformer DI (which the DI on your interface is *not*).

Likely no surprises here, you should read up on ground loops and how to solve them.

There is no hum on instrument tracks because there is no recorded audio on instrument tracks.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
..and you can try forgetting the amp all together and just go into a DI with the bass and use an amp sim plugin if needed.
I'm a bass player first, so bass for me is a priority.

I've had great results using a Tech21 SansAmp. I always have two tracks for bass: one is the XLR, which is direct (untreated). I run another line out of the regular output, which includes the SansAmp settings. I find by blending the two I can find a very good balance and the tone I want.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg27 View Post
I'm a bass player first, so bass for me is a priority.

I've had great results using a Tech21 SansAmp. I always have two tracks for bass: one is the XLR, which is direct (untreated). I run another line out of the regular output, which includes the SansAmp settings. I find by blending the two I can find a very good balance and the tone I want.
If that gives you what you want, then its a perfect method. For me, I track bass direct with a good DI, or straight into the instrument input of a Neve clone. I also send the bass from the DI track to an AUX track with Amplitube's SVX bass amp plugin(usually with a tweaked B15 model). Then in the pedal section, I add a distortion pedal(this is bypassed during tracking as its not pleasing in headphones). When its time to mix, the distortion pedal gets turned on and the bass pops out really nicely

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2018, 06:01 AM

Fender Jazz bass with the S1 switching into a UA 610 into the line in on my 11 Rack. That way I bypass the signal drop inherent in going into the 11R's guitar input. That and for some reason my bass doesn't get along with the input impedance on the 11R guitar input.

QAPLA!
Old 09-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Thanks to all who have replied to me. We will be considering all of the suggestions.

Thank you!