Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2002, 11:02 AM

Default Still losing MBox connection after reboot and with firmware upgrade..Help

I am using the following hardware and software:
My Configuration:
IBook G3
192 meg 0' ram
9.36 gig internal H.D.
Maxtor Personal Storage 3000 DV w/80 gig of space,firewire, 2 MB cache buffer, spin rate 7200 RPM, Interface IEEE 1394, SPB-2 compliant.
MAC OS 9.2.2
MBox w/Protools LE
Description of problem:
1. If I create a new session on the Maxtor firewire external hardrive as soon as I hit Record and Play from ProTools I get a DAE error 9060. If I disconnect the exteranal hardrive and throw the external H.D. icon in the trash folder I can then create a new session on my internal H.D. and it will record with no problem.
I could not initialize this drive with the Apple software so I had to use the Maxtor install software. I think this might be the problem, I dunno?
2. The next problem should of been cured by
a.) Upgrading to Mac OS 9.2.2 and updating the firmware.
The problem is that after rebooting or restarting the system ProTools can longer communicate with the MBox. If you try to playback a track you get that digital distorted noise. You must close the ProTools session and then unplug the MBox cable and plug it back in , wait for Mac to recognize it and then you can playback.
Summary:
Ok , what do I do now? This is not really something I want to do as far as plugging and unplugging the MBox everytime I want to use it. There has to be a software solution from Digidesign...what do I do?
As far as the DAE errors go, what do I do now. Maxtor is a very common brand and name and it should work with MBox and Protools with no problem however we have one.I think an issue might be that OS 9.2.2 could not initialize the drive and I had to use the Maxtor Install disk to do so..I also chose the Mac OS Extended install if that makes a difference..what should I do about it?
Please email me if you have any ideas. I went through 6 or 7 hours of testing it every different way and reconfiguring, re intstalling etc. :
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 03-20-2002, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Still losing MBox connection after reboot and with firmware upgrade..Help

I believe the firmware update should ONLY be used if your lights (mic/line/inst) jump around like a scanner...

As for the iBook, most iBook 500/600 users have reported the "plugging" & "unplugging" scenario to Digi already...

Old 03-20-2002, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Still losing MBox connection after reboot and with firmware upgrade..Help

I've heard it's best to trash the third party Firewire drivers.

Only use Apple's 9.2.2 Firewire extension set.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:12 PM

I tried that by running the uninstall of the Maxtor driver extensions and then tried to initialize it with the Mac ones and the mac would not recognize the drive....I'll try again tonight so are these the steps:
1. Run Uninstaller for the Maxtor, remove any Maxtor software from the system, delete the icon for the drive off the desktop, shut off the extensions or remove any to do with Maxtor...
2. Reboot and let the Mac find the drive
What else do I need to do? Are these the right steps for this?
Old 03-20-2002, 02:31 PM

Do you have a fresh install of 9.2.2 (everything)

And when you connect without the maxtor (quantum) extension it won't mount?

Will Drivesetup (utility f) see it? (does it say unsupported drive?)

Oh boy. How to re-intialize an unsupported drive?
Old 03-20-2002, 02:45 PM

Your right ...it says unsupported drive there....I was thinking of returning the drive back to CompUSA.....do you know of a drive that will work with the native 9.22 firewire extensions and not require me to use the hardrive drivers that the drive comes with. I want to use the Apple ones ....right?
Old 03-20-2002, 03:14 PM

Im going to try this:
Mac OS 9.1 or higher

Firewire Enabler (version 2.7 or higher)

Firewire Support (version 2.7 or higher)

FireWire Enabler v2.7 and FireWire Support v2.7 are Mac OS Extensions included with OS 9.1. run the Software Update Control Panel to update to the latest version of these extensions in OS 9.1 or higher. Both of these extensions must be enabled in your System Folder/Extensions folder in order to mount and use firewire drives.

Supported formatting utility: Mac OS "Erase Disk" command

Select firewire drive (highlight drive icon on desktop)
Go to the "Special" menu in the Apple OS menu bar
Choose "Erase Disk" command
Choose Mac OS Extended (HFS+)
Note: partitioning is not an option using the Erase Disk command. To increase performance and improve seek time, Digidesign recommends that you allocate a portion of your hard drive for recording. In Pro Tools, Choose Setups/Preferences and click Operation. Under the Open Ended Record Allocation option, select Limit To and enter a number of minutes to be allocated.
Third-party drive utilitites not supported:
While third-party drive format utilities may work on the owner's CPU where that application's software and extensions are installed, the best way to ensure compatibility on all Macs with firewire drives is to use the Apple Erase Disk function for formatting. If you plan to also use your Firewire drive on other machines that may not have the same third-party drivers, your drive may not mount on that machine, or you may experience DAE or system errors.

Supported file format: Mac OS Extended (HFS+)

HFS standard formatting will result in finder copy problems with files over 2 GB

For additional information see the DigiDrive FireWire Guide in the Technical Documents Library of the Support/Tech Support section of the website. (printed manual included with the DigiDrive FireWire
Old 03-20-2002, 05:45 PM

Sounds like a plan.

Don't worry about the 'partioning' thing. This drive is soley for audio right?

But how do you get to the 'erase disk' command (under special) if it won't mount?

Re-install the Maxtor extensions.Reboot. Then erase firewire disk. Go to extension's manager, turn off those extensions (choose view by packages) and reboot.

Restart. See if it mounts.

Good luck,

Some good links: www.lacie.com/ www.granitedigital.com/
Old 03-21-2002, 12:18 AM

Thanks,
Has Digidesign come up with a solution/work around yet for the plug/unplugging problem? Do you have any ideas about the DAE issue?
Old 03-21-2002, 02:29 AM

just an idea......

You use an Ibook...that is a labtop/notebook mac designed to run on batteries. So there is probably some powersaveing going on by shutting down "unused" parts in your ibook such as harddisk, processor etc. Could it just be the case that usb-ports are shutdown if not used for some time???????

Bastiaan