Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-28-2020, 05:27 AM

Default Re: New Mac Pro (7.1)

I didn't want to take any risks so I bought the Belkin kit. All three HDX cards (placed in slots 6-8) work and PT is - so far - rock stable. (Now that I wrote this I just know I'll get several crashes today! )
Old 02-28-2020, 12:44 PM

I would like everybody to know that the article written by Pro Tools Expert is completly useless about recomending the Belkin Aux Cable kit. As a new Mac pro 7.1 owner I bougth the kit just to realise after getting it that it is complettely unnecesary as the standard cable that comes with the HDX card conects perfectly to the ports on the Mac.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:07 PM

thx!
Old 02-28-2020, 02:07 PM

Good to know.......
Old 02-28-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
If I am understanding correctly , I would probably mirror what I have in current MP. Which means I would order it with a 500 GB SSD Apple installed boot dive ( 256 is doable but I am already at about 230 GB on my boot drive) and then get two third party PCIe SS'D (likely get a 1 TB for PT session storage and 2 TB for FCPX storage)

What SW are you using to mirror internal MP7.1 SSD nand drives and are you replacing drives if issue occurs
Old 02-29-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
What SW are you using to mirror internal MP7.1 SSD nand drives and are you replacing drives if issue occurs
Sorry for the confusion, when I said "mirror". I meant I would want to "do" the same configuration as my current system (in sig line below) with 500 GB as the boot drive option (but since realized the Apple factory options are 256 or 1 TB). And that for additional storage drives (rather than order Apple installed) , I would simply get third party PCIe SSD drives and adaptor cards (not necessarily the dual adaptor controller I currently have ) for the PCIe Slots

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-29-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post
However I cannot run PT2019.12 as the system doesn't recognize the hardware. I also tried to run DigiTest, but it crashes every time. I have re-installed the HD driver; still the same thing. I will try to take out all three cards and simply try them one-by-one and after all 3x will work individually I will try to pair them in an HDX2 system first and afterwards connect them all - so an HDX3. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips/tricks on how to troubleshoot this?
Did you manage to get your system up and running, Oblivion?

I seem to have similar issues. ProTools does not see my 2 HDX cards. Tried to install the HD driver (in order to run DigiTest), but when I rebooted the Mac Pro would not boot. Everything is 2019.12. Are any of you with running systems running a previous version? Also: my cars are in 6 and 7 with the original power cable.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:56 PM

For troubleshooting, try only installing one card in different slots and see if you get it working to begin with. I'm sure build that supports 2019 MP is right around the corner but obviously you need to try something now
Old 03-02-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
For troubleshooting, try only installing one card in different slots and see if you get it working to begin with. I'm sure build that supports 2019 MP is right around the corner but obviously you need to try something now
After being forced to a reinstall of Mac OS (now 15.3) the HDX cards appeared. Working now.

I am just worried about the fan noise. Contemplating removing 1 HDX card to give the 1 that's left a bit for "breathing room" and hoping it won't start as fast as if I had two cards in neck to neck. What are your solutions? Can't move the Mac Pro - cause my gorgeous LG 5k2k screen uses thunderbolt 3 (max 2 meter).

Peter
Old 03-02-2020, 06:08 PM

If you have one working card now as unsupported, be happy about it and wait for 2020.x that supposedly should bless the 2019 towers.