Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2009, 01:44 AM

Default "PT cannot access more than 4GB and PT 8 will not change this"

So... why are plugs like Omnisphere, Amplitube, T-Tacks, still crashing my computer?
I do have 4G RAM and everything is updated, done by the book and all legal plugs.
I changed from Cubase to PT about two years ago. I still cannot see the benefit of it. More money spend, more problems!
The reason I chose PT was exactly the stability of the system. Everybody called it " industry standard". IT'S NOT. Not sure HD is still or how long they can sustain it.
Too many problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 AM

Default Re: "PT cannot access more than 4GB and PT 8 will not change this"

and what do your Crash Logs tel you?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-31-2009, 05:09 AM

It says that I run put of CPU: "...increse buffer.." bla bla bla.
And I did studied the "Troubleshoting Thread", I did reduce the nr of processors to seven, and all the other things.
And I do have an ok equipment and computer (more than enough for a home studio), as you all can see.
Still...
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 AM

one quick solution is to process all your audio tracks with effects into a track one by one then delete that track which had them on it, previously....this way u r dealing with finished audio tracks with no effects...this saves cpu power...yea i realize its the long road but it works.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 AM

Thank you Barry.
Your solution, of course, would work.
But then again, you would call that "the industry standard", would you?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 AM

nope but on the LE or M version is best u can do....digi has not found the way like apples logic pro studio......so its the best u can do...i think digi's theory is to process everything into a audio track b4 adding anything on...i know that disrupts the creation process..
Old 12-31-2009, 07:33 AM

I say its ur computer; if u know me & the way I push my rig, Stylus, Omnisphere, Mini Grand, 20+ Auto tune instantiates, many plugs, Structure, Vienna, etc. is a normal session for me & always without problem & usually always @ 64buffer setting... With no crashes or hiccups...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1 View Post
one quick solution is to process all your audio tracks with effects into a track one by one then delete that track which had them on it, previously....this way u r dealing with finished audio tracks with no effects...this saves cpu power...yea i realize its the long road but it works.
I'm with KB here, and while the above method can help, DON'T delete the original tracks!! You don't need to as you can simply make them inactive and hide them(so you can still call them up if you need them). Inactive tracks don't chew up resources.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-01-2010, 06:23 PM

I too agree with KB and albee on this. My old imac with only 2 gigs of ram can withstand quite a few plug-ins, VI's, and still keep going. Maybe check to make sure you have turned off bluetooh, airport, dashboard and any other un-needed software. Also, try cutting back on the number of processors even more. I read on a thread not long ago that less is sometimes better when it comes to this. Something about allowing more processors to do other things with some plug-ins. Just a thought.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 PM

This issue really has nothing to do with how much RAM PT can access anyway. Several of the heavy VI's and other plugins depend on resources outside of PT. So while PT is accessing 4GB for itself, there are other resources that even background processes require for stability. This is why it is typically recommended to reduce the number of processing cores PT is using, and to use plenty of RAM, etc. This way your system can breathe, your plugins have spare resources outside of PT, and overall stability improves. Makes sense?

PT accessing 4GB of RAM has only to do with the fact that is based off 32bit architecture, and it simply means that PT itself can only access 4GB at a time. But that doesn't mean more RAM won't help PT run more smoothly. In a 32bit environment, EACH application can access up to 4GB of RAM. Which means more RAM will improve OS performance, VI performance, and various other tasks where your computer is running multiple programs at once (which is always).

But... I'm with the majority on this one. A Mac Pro, even an early generation, should have NO issues blasting away with tons of tracks and plugins. Considering that my early 2008 Macbook Pro can handle 70+ tracks with 90+ plugins all running together...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515