Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Default Re: No AAX plugins???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassili View Post
AVID is still testing the new cards. Is there any risk buying the new HDX cards on Ebay? Won't there be a newer version of them?

Thank you Vassili
??????????? New cards just came out. There won't be a newer version for a long long time.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
No disrespect at all, but everyone who is unhappy with HDX always says "But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand" so really.......
Well, one would think that a product being hyped to the 9's for months, then rolled out and delivered to customers who pay thousands of dollars for it would actually have available the items required for it to meet the aforementioned hype. I don't think it's unreasonable to have that expectation. Why else would one purchase the product? They don't advertise it with the caveat that there will be no way to actually USE the thing until some arbitrary point in the future or that there aren't actually any plugins that will work on it. That part is conveniently left out. It's a farce. Who would think that Pro Tools HD(X), the point of which is to have DSP plugins, would be shipped with hardware that has virtually no software to perform the task for which you bought it in the first place! It's not like this (DSP powered plugins) is some new territory for Pro Tools HD or some radical departure. It's the actual REASON we buy it. So really...
Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmklein View Post
Well, one would think that a product being hyped to the 9's for months, then rolled out and delivered to customers who pay thousands of dollars for it would actually have available the items required for it to meet the aforementioned hype. I don't think it's unreasonable to have that expectation. Why else would one purchase the product? They don't advertise it with the caveat that there will be no way to actually USE the thing until some arbitrary point in the future or that there aren't actually any plugins that will work on it. That part is conveniently left out. It's a farce. Who would think that Pro Tools HD(X), the point of which is to have DSP plugins, would be shipped with hardware that has virtually no software to perform the task for which you bought it in the first place! It's not like this (DSP powered plugins) is some new territory for Pro Tools HD or some radical departure. It's the actual REASON we buy it. So really...
Okay....I see where you're coming from now. It's all your TDM plugs you can't use right? You know, I've been using them as RTAS and they work great. This is fine for now until they'll be AAX. As for VI's since there was only 2 TDM instruments, using RTAS now is identical to how we mostly ran VIs in HD systems.

Out of curiosity, which plugs are your 'go to' efxs from HD that you can't use in HDX.

For me, Echo and Amp farm were the two that I'll always miss. They'll never be ported over.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 PM

TC Electronic
Most of Eventide
Serato Rane Series

But the point of this thread was this question: "Why buy powerful HDX cards when there are no AAX-DSP plugins available?"
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
No disrespect at all, but everyone who is unhappy with HDX always says "But I suppose this is MY fault for not researching beforehand" so really.......
Somebody is buying HDX, there may be some in the dealers but Avid have none left.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
TC Electronic
Most of Eventide
Serato Rane Series

But the point of this thread was this question: "Why buy powerful HDX cards when there are no AAX-DSP plugins available?"
Eventide is going AAX see here

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 AM

I have to second the OP's sentiments here. Been running an HDX2 setup for the last 6 weeks and the shortage of AAX DSP plugins is moving from 'highly frustrating' to 'a serious problem'.

I suppose we all make certain assumptions when we upgrade, like the fact that AVID would not release a new platform for which there is literally no support, and we believe the marketing messages of extensive 3rd party support. Unfortunately those assumptions are proving to be unfounded, and it's undermining faith in AVID's relationship with their so called 'partners'.

From my own research, a tiny selection have now released AAX DSP plugins (Softube really the only one of significance, Cranesong Phoenix the only other I've come across and use regularly) and many of the remainder appear to be working on the port, kind of 'in their own time'. My personal go-to EQ (Massenburg MDW) is apparently in the works, but it could take many months to appear. Sonnox promised AAX DSP support I believe in Jan, but it's not materialised. Waves are dodging the issue. McDSP have promised support but with no detailed time-frame. Other developers seem to be in two minds about whether this is really a platform they want to commit a lot of time and energy to, at least this early on.

Bottom line, the HDX platform itself and ProTools 10 I think look technically awesome, but they are at risk of becoming blighted by AVID's failure to recruit a core of 3rd party developers who could release AAX DSP plugins on or shortly after launch. I don't know if AVID are on the case, trying to jolly things along, but something really needs to be done about it, before HDX becomes synonomous with 'unsupported', which would be a huge shame. Right now, every session is an exercise in resource gymnastics, trying to get my host system to manage the excessive load of native plugins, made necessary by the redundant DSP hardware I can't use.

Here's hoping the situation gets resolved urgently, because the absence of AAX DSP support announcements is starting to become a real concern.

Jules
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
Somebody is buying HDX, there may be some in the dealers but Avid have none left.
Which either means they're selling like crazy and they can't keep up, or Avid is incompetent at manufacturing. I hope it's the latter. I have been waiting on my Avid HD I/O 16x16 for weeks and it's messing up my entire schedule.

As for buying HDX now??? All I can say is, I had access to the same info as everyone else here (as did many others) and I didn't buy it because it was painfully obvious that it was too early. Having said that, with Channel Strip and Revibe on DSP and the rest of things working as RTAS, there's really nothing "missing" per se to get the job done.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
I suppose we all make certain assumptions when we upgrade, like the fact that AVID would not release a new platform for which there is literally no support, and we believe the marketing messages of extensive 3rd party support. Unfortunately those assumptions are proving to be unfounded, and it's undermining faith in AVID's relationship with their so called 'partners'.

Right now, every session is an exercise in resource gymnastics, trying to get my host system to manage the excessive load of native plugins, made necessary by the redundant DSP hardware I can't use.

Jules
Precisely.
Pro Tools will convert things to RTAS but if I'd wanted that I would have gone Native. I mean, the whole point of HDX is for the DSP so who would think one would even HAVE to question its viability? It's really absurd.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 AM

The 10.1 udate page for HDX has Revide, Reverb One, and other downloads available.
BX and SPL are on and others like Blue Cat.
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=430151
Also keep tabs on AAX here.
http://www.kvraudio.com/?t[]=top&t[]=aax