Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 10:21 AM

Default so sound replacer doesn\'t work, oh well?

Is sound replacer meant to be a toy or should it work like it says it does?

My system:
g4 dual1g qS
HD 3 accel

For starters sound replacer should have an audio audition feature...

here's what I'm encountering:

On a snare track. Yellow slider works by itself. add red slider and yellow no longer uses it's sample. it uses the red sample. blue works fine. If I use yellow and don't use red and do use blue then yellow plays the correct sample.

Typically I've used 3 different versions of a snare and would really not know wether sound replacer was using all 3 samples as displayed. But this particular instance I'm using 2 snare hits on the red and blue and a stick drop sound on the yellow. If I use all 3 sliders yellow's sample never gets used.

HELp.. is this an accell issue?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: so sound replacer doesn\'t work, oh well?

$400

Old 11-19-2003, 10:34 PM

Turn off Peak Align ... trust me.

The different colored sliders are designed to respond to different dynamics.

Yellow- softest
Red- medium
Blue- hardest

The samples can be configured, within SoundReplacer, in accordance with the dynamics of the performance.

With regards to the audition issue, you have to insure that your audition outputs correspond with your main outputs ( if these are the outputs from which you intend to monitor). This can be changed within your I/O set-up.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:22 AM

picksail, what the **":# are you talking about? Did you even read my post?

Thanks for you tutorial, but I know what soundreplacer does and how it works. Read it again and edit your reply if you care. Also when I'm asking for an audition feature, I'm referring to auditioning samples when assigning them to the transient sliders. Preivew works fine as it is.

are you a teacher at fullsail?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:23 AM

Sorry, for the seemingly condescending and superfluous info. I totally misread your post and you have assured me of such.

I understand (NOW) what you mean about the missing AUDITION SAMPLE feature. The only work around for me, is to print the track then undo it if I don't like it. Otherwise, albeit cumbersome as hell, you could auditon a section of the region using the preview function then stop it adjust the sliders and on and on and on. Not excactly the most efficient approach.

I have encountered what you describe with regards to the masking of samples. I usually set it up like this:

Snare- yellow- softest hit red- medium hit blue- hardest hit (pardon me, for reiterating)

I adjust the yellow slider to the point at which it responds to all transients shown in the graphical display. Then I move the red to respond to the medium hits and then blue if necessary. What I have noticed is that, many times, once I've moved the yellow slider I barely have to move the others to hear them. And the red and blue colors won't even show up in the display.I can hear the change, but I can't see it. At this point it's all guess work. It also, won't allow you to move the red or blue sliders without first setting up the initial yellow slider . Even more, once you move the red slider down the blue won't move beyond the red. SoundReplacer doesn't have the best features, but I have found work arounds.

Again, sorry for the misinformation. I'm am taking it that the Fullsail inquiry was rhetorical, so I won't respond. Oh wait, I just did!
Old 01-01-2004, 05:41 AM

thanks. digi?
Old 01-01-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:
picksail, what the **":# are you talking about? Did you even read my post?

Thanks for you tutorial, but I know what soundreplacer does and how it works. Read it again and edit your reply if you care. Also when I'm asking for an audition feature, I'm referring to auditioning samples when assigning them to the transient sliders. Preivew works fine as it is.

are you a teacher at fullsail?
Geez, Clark.... don't climb up the guy's *****. He was trying to help, I'd love to be around you in the studio. It must be a real treat.