Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 12:07 PM

Default HD Accel

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! Protools has barely gotten to be functional in OSX and now we need to spend thousands again to get cards that can actually handle the load of newer plugins without crashing. I have stuck with my HD system while others mocked me, knowing that when Digidesign worked out the kinks with the newer program it would be the best thing going. I guess I was wrong. We are in a poker game where we are being asked to ante up every 12 months or get out of the game. This may be fine for film and post people, but those of us making records on these systems are getting squeezed on both ends. This time I may fold
Old 09-16-2003, 12:29 PM

Default Re: HD Accel

Good to see all these positive first time posters.

If you're currently making records in PT... what exactly has Digi done to stop you from continuing to do that?

And if you're bothered by your friends mocking you for using PT - maybe it's new friends you need - and not a new DAW.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:35 PM

Oh sorry, I guess I should have said "great, I am glad it will only cost me thousands more this year to get a system that fulfills the promise of the last system I bought." This really does make me happy, thanks for clearing things up bassmac
Old 09-16-2003, 12:37 PM

No problem - glad to help out.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:40 PM

I think the upgrade prices are OUTRAGEOUS!

And I'm not a first-timer.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:44 PM

Really. I am generally not a crab I swear! Just frustrated to be pouring money into new hardware in addition to the dealing with the copious software issues that come with making music digitally. This is not just Digi's problem, it comes with the teerritory. But if there is a way to make HD work better with regard to voices and cpu and plugin algorithms it would seem that a slightly more generous exchange rate might be offered.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:48 PM

Hi
Although this has been said a zillion times by a zillion people every time Digi brings out a new product, I'll say it again: If the system you've got has been working (whether in music or post, whatever), why is is suddenly useless just because there's a newer system available? If you are a commercial studio, depending on outside clients who WILL say "well, do you have the Whiz-Bang 3000? If you don't, the studio down the street DOES", then the constant upgrading is a real drag, but nothing new.
If you're doing your own work, then your clients are paying for you and your talent, not the hardware, so as long as what you're doing for them sounds good, they really don't give a ^&*%! about what gear you're using. So keep using what you're using, keep doing what you're doing, and if you don't feel like upgrading, don't!

My 2¢, hope this helps, good luck!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 09-16-2003, 12:59 PM

A more than fair criticsm Jon. My gripe is not the upgrade, I want a better system as much as the next guy. However, this seems as much an upgrade as it does a fix for the problems people are having with the current system. If you see some of the other threads in this conference, HD is not fully functional for a lot of people. CPU and plugin problems are too common for this to be all the fault of Amplitube or Altiverb or whoever. ProTools 6.1 is not as stable as 5.3.1 was. It would be nice to have a fully functional HD system before we 'upgrade' to Accel.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:59 PM

My advice... Don't read the DUC - you'll be happier with your HD system.

You don't get married and then hang out out strip clubs the next day just to see what you could of had - do you?

...you do - well then that's another forum.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:00 PM

guilty.. though as you pointed out I was a first time poster!