Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Waves Digigrid iOS Audio Interface w/ built in DSP Server

$3760

DiGiGrid IOS is an audio interface with a built-in SoundGrid DSP server for plugin processing. The IOS features 8 mic/line inputs with broadcast/studio-quality preamps, 8 line outputs, 2 headphone outputs, and MIDI I/O, S/PDIF, and AES ins and outs.

http://duc.avid.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY799qgoDEY
Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Waves Digigrid iOS Audio Interface w/ built in DSP Server

So?
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 12-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
So?
I have seen this unit mentioned on here during the early discussion around the time the products were announced...in a somewhat incomprehensible fashion, I might add.

While there is a sale on DigiGrid DLS + Waves Plugins bundles that has been mentioned on here, I believe this is the first mention of the IOS separately.

From all appearances, the IOS is being positioned as Waves' answer to UAD's Apollo units...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-11-2014, 06:17 AM

Hmm, anyway, for that price, I'll stick with Universal Audio, who by the way doesn't charge you for any update on the software.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 12-11-2014, 10:46 AM

There seems to be some confusion about what the IOS is...

The IOS is the standalone 8X8X2X2 interface in the new DigiGrid (DG) lineup of products (IOS, IOX, IOC, DLS, DLI). Referring to the definitions below it incorporates 8X8 analog i/o, 8 preamps, 2 Headphone outs, AES/SPDIF 2X2, MIDI i/o, and a SoundGrid Server. This unit plus one ethernet cable is a full 8X8 recording rig with DSP power for very low latency recording through SoundGrid Plugins.

The new Waves IOS integrates with ProTools in a unique way giving DSP resources for any SoundGrid (SG) plugin. These resources can be used for simple CPU offload and for very low latency tracking through SG plugins - independent of buffer setting - with a more HD like experience than an Apollo or MOTU workflow).

Other relevant features include-
- Single Ethernet connection to computer
- Expandable/extensible with any DG interface (put i/o's in multiple rooms with ethernet connectivity)
- Attach any Digilink enabled i/o to the system using a DLI (Examples of DigiLink i/os are - AVID i/o - 192 - 96 - Aurora - Ensemble - Burl Converters patched into a 192 Digital i/o ... etc - anything that ever plugged into an HD or HDX system works with the Digigrid DLS/DLI)
- Allows resources to be shared among multiple computers (i/o's - SGS)
- Streams audio to/from any connected computer
- Open to 3rd parties (Brainworx already on board)
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html

Last edited by propower; 12-12-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 AM

ProPower,

With the IOS are you still limited to 64 inserted racks when mixing within Pro Tools?

Starting to consider the IOS. I have (3) Octos and an Apollo, but still use more Wave plugins than anything.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
ProPower,

With the IOS are you still limited to 64 inserted racks when mixing within Pro Tools?

Starting to consider the IOS. I have (3) Octos and an Apollo, but still use more Wave plugins than anything.
With all DiGiGrid systems the limit is 64 mono or 32 stereo StudioRacks running on the DSP server. Of course you can run any number of StudioRacks or just Waves plugins Natively as well.

PS -----------
Thinking about your system though - (3) UAD Octos + Apollo right - I checked with my sources and the UAD cards aren't compatible at this time with SoundGrid/DiGiGrid. So none of your existing stuff would integrate with IOS :-(. Wish I had better news on that front.

WRT the IOS, FWIW - in my studio I went for a separate server (SGS-1, which is more powerful than the one in the IOS - is the same as the DLS) and an IOX. Just a little more $$ but it gave me the ability to hide the server in a back room (46dBA at 1 foot so pretty noisy in my world) and have a silent IOX in the room with the artists (12 mic/line ins and 4 HP outs).

Last edited by propower; 07-27-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
With all DiGiGrid systems the limit is 64 mono or 32 stereo StudioRacks running on the DSP server. Of course you can run any number of StudioRacks or just Waves plugins Natively as well.
Okay same as DLS at work. I thought the 64 racks was a limitation of the way DLS interacts with HD/HDX and the IOS would be be different.

Quote:
PS -----------
Thinking about your system though - (3) UAD Octos + Apollo right - I checked with my sources and the UAD cards aren't compatible at this time with SoundGrid/DiGiGrid. So none of your existing stuff would integrate with
IOS :-(. Wish I had better news on that front.
Thinking of chucking the Apollo 16 and (2) Octos. Colleague will take them off my hands if I decide to do it. Just the IOS and one satellite Octo will work for me.

Quote:
WRT the IOS, FWIW - in my studio I went for a separate server (SGS-1, which is more powerful than the one in the IOS - is the same as the DLS) and an IOX. Just a little more $$ but it gave me the ability to hide the server in a back room (46dBA at 1 foot so pretty noisy in my world) and have a silent IOX in the room with the artists (12 mic/line ins and 4 HP outs).
Interesting. Didn't know that could be done. I saw the extreme server was much more powerful. Will look at that option.

One more question. Is there a way to volume control the monitor out? Is the master fader on the emotion software the only way? I don't see a master volume on the IOS or IOX. I'm sizing down to just a pair of Barefoots. Would like to be able to get rid of my Cranesong Avocet also.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
Interesting. Didn't know that could be done. I saw the extreme server was much more powerful. Will look at that option.

One more question. Is there a way to volume control the monitor out? Is the master fader on the emotion software the only way? I don't see a master volume on the IOS or IOX. I'm sizing down to just a pair of Barefoots. Would like to be able to get rid of my Cranesong Avocet also.
Extreme is certainly the top one but the DLS/SGS1 are also very good (i5 in these i7 in Extreme). I believe the IOS is an i3. You can compare specs here:
http://www.waves.com/soundgrid-studio-system
http://www.waves.com/hardware/soundgrid-server-one

Software control is the way DiGiGrid does it. I have not tried tying it to a physical continuous control unit. For Master Volume i am sort of paranoid so i keep a real Analog Volume knob on my mains and turn to zero at the end of the day. Using a Dangerous Source at this time which is pretty good (tracks well until about 9:00 then drifts badly. I like having the Digital inputs for the I/O straight from my MacPro for A/B ing tracks. I am integrating an AVID OMNI as well (via a DLI) which is pretty nice for monitor controls (will know more in a little while). Lastly I have been eyeing some analog stepped pot options since I do lots at really low volume.

FWIW - IOX in the tracking room and AVID OMNI/DLI in the mix room is my current working setup.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 PM

Thanks ProPower.

A client at work was saying that the he believes the Digigrid systems are scalable. For instance if I got an IOX I could buy two Impact Servers and get 128 studiorack slots (64 each server) at mix. Is that the case?