Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Unhappy Digital noise and glitches when recording to gdrive

Macbook Pro 2.93 running osx 10.6.5 Using M-audio firewire 1814 RME ADI-2 digital converter NEWLY ADDED G-Raid 7200rpm external drive (daisychained through the 1814) I have a good install of old Protools 7.1.1 which will record to the internal drive without any glitches. I'm recording the digital out of the Roland V-piano into the RME and then the optical output of RME into my 1814, and vocals through the XLR input channel 1 onto the new G-Raid. In the M-audio control panel if I set my sync source to internal-digital inputs unmuted then any signal that I monitor or record get very scrambled in a digital sounding way. If I change the sync source to External- digital then monitoring signal is fine, ut when I record, there or glitches, short bursts of white noise or the signal is dropping out, and it happens fairly often, every 30 seconds or so, rendering the otherwise good recording useless. Is this because I'm daisychaining? Or is it because my pro tools is old? Or is it something to do with the converter?! Who Knows
Old 05-11-2011, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Digital noise and glitches when recording to gdrive

M-audio devices are know to cause errors when daisy chaining. So you say when you record to your internal drive with the same set up you get no errors? Do the errors sound like pops and clicks in the recorded audio? This is a tell tale sign that daisy chaining is causing your errors. I went through this a few years back.

You have two options.

#1 record to your internal drive. (can work quite well especially 7200)
#2 upgrade your computer. (best option)

I went with a used macbook pro with a express card. I bought a firewire express card and it allows me to separate my firewire buses.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Digital noise and glitches when recording to gdrive

I forgot about another option that might be best for you. Its the optibay. Alot of people have had success with the optibay. Basically it adds another hard drive in place of your Cd drive.

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/