Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2001, 06:18 PM

Default \"Save Session Copy In\" Disk Error?

I've come up against this several times recently...I try to pare my sessions down by doing "Save Session Copy In" to another drive (or the same, for that matter), checking "copy audio files etc.". I then get an error message to the effect of "could not complete your command because of a disk error". There is no number given TO said error, so I'm in the dark here. I thought maybe I had a corrupt audio file or some such, but I ran Norton, defragged, etc., no problems, still no go. Finally copied all the in-use audio files as well as session file (and fades, and plug-in settings) individually, all was well, but a significant PITA compared to the Save Session As niftitude.

Any sheddable light??? Thanks...

------------------
Eric Bazilian/The Mousetrap
"Music Is Good"
Old 01-06-2001, 12:35 AM

Default Re: \"Save Session Copy In\" Disk Error?

I believe you get that message when there is insufficient disk space available for the new files.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-06-2001, 02:00 AM

i had this problem 2 or 3 times.
one of your files might be corrupted. try to run Disk Doctor, delete the folder "copy of...", and redo the "save copy in..". this solved the problem for me each time.

Hope this helps
gugu

[This message has been edited by gugu (edited January 06, 2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 12:56 AM

a) Plenty of disk space (and I tried all of my drives as destinations).

2) Ran Norton, files are fine. Also deletet incomplete folders each time.

Anyone else?

------------------
"Music Is Good"
Old 01-07-2001, 07:05 PM

One of the guys ran into this at work. He had recorded some audio and renamed it " " (blank spaces) so he could in essence do a find for "space" and clear his bin when importing audio. Anyways PT went into a hairy fit and we couldn't get past this error, here were our fixes...

Select unused audio and clear it(making sure auto-seperated regions is selected)

Or

Try and figure out what file is screwing Pro tools up by matching how far it got along to your region bin and checking for suspect names, I'm not sure but we fixed filenames that had a : in it (a finder no no I think). It's very odd and sometimes refers to the actual PT session, but from what we can figure out it's a pointer to a wacky file!

Hope some of this helps

(Final resort, Track Transfer your tracks into a blank session with Copy Files option turned on - Warning, although I've never had any problems doing this with my SFX sesions, our ADR/Dialog editor has on sessions that have been AutoConformed. Entire regions dissapear as though they were never there. Anyone else had this?)
Old 01-07-2001, 07:45 PM

Woah!!! Stop the press!!! Blank spaces in file names....I do this often when duplicating regions so I can find them easily. I can't wait to run out to the studio tomorrow and see if I'd done that on the session in quiestion. Baited breath...

------------------
"Music Is Good"
Old 01-09-2001, 12:20 AM

Well, it seems you were right...I just copied a session, made sure there were no file names beginning with blank space, and, voila, all is well. Thanks, indeed...

------------------
"Music Is Good"
Old 01-09-2001, 12:45 AM

Eric,

One other thing to watch for. "Save Session Copy" renames the new session to "Copy of..." if that new name exceeds the 32 character file name limit, you get the ever so helpful "could not complete the command because of a disk error" message. Watch the overall length of the file name when using "Save Session Copy".

Digi guys, is it possible to fix this?