Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2020, 10:23 PM

Default Re: When was the last Update? (meaningful that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You really need to lose the 'tude dude. Janne is one of the more knowledgeable people here. Right up there with Darryl Ramm, Southside Christopher and others too many to name.
Musicman I have all respect for you man. Been seeing you around here for quite awhile and I have respect for all the other moderators especially Southside but I must say JFreak needs no one to come to his rescue it is what it is. I’m sure I’m not the the only one that feels this way, just the one to speak up and by the way I don’t have a ‘tude I’m just telling it like It is and I make no apologies for it. Also I didn’t say he wasn’t knowledgeable just overly bias and it comes across as a take over when people are asking and sharing legitimate concerns. I’m just bringing balance. Enough is enough! Sometimes JFreak the moderator needs a moderator. Many people around here have been making some good points and it should not always be met with a looking down attitude that Avid is Perfect and the problem must be on your end and I’m not just speaking about this thread.

Last edited by zion; 08-27-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:53 PM

I agree, but I'd be the last person to defend Avid. I gave up on PT several years ago and use other DAWs now. I still have PT 12.8 for rare times when I bring up old projects, otherwise it never gets used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerk View Post
Hmm, okay. How about they stop charging for “voices” and extra audio channels or giving out leases on extra audio channels in 2021? Is that also complicated? Lol. Man, we all know Avid is on some crazy trip.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Sometimes JFreak the moderator needs a moderator.
Oh this is good, I like it. Maybe I should change my signature
Old 08-28-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
In particular, ARA2 requires deep communication between the DAW and the plugin. I know that it took a lot of time and effort for both Samplitude and Reaper to support it, and both had some issues initially. They both use the VST spec, obviously.

I have no way of knowing, but given that the AAX spec has its own challenges, it may be a very long time before PT can integrate something so tightly. It's also possible that there are technological hurdles that can not be overcome without massive changes to the spec - but I'm only guessing when I say that. I could also be completely wrong, and perhaps the AAX spec is easier to work with than VST for ARA. But I don't think it will be a trivial change.
I don't agree with this assessment. The Melodyne ARA Pro Tools hack works very well, even though it's a bit of a PITA. But it shows it can be done. It's just not a priority with Avid to give us this, or we would have had it by now.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...than-real-time
Old 08-29-2020, 01:21 AM

As I said, I don't know anything for sure. We can sit on the outside all day long and speculate, only the developers know. But the hack you are referring to is not at all related to ARA2 implementation. It's cool, but not the same. It is a function of rendering, while the crux of ARA2 is interactive communication between the plugin and application. An edit in either one is reflected in the other. I was a software engineer / designer / developer for 23 years before I retired. I don't know the specifics of the PT or AAX system, but I do have experience working with 3rd party API's and integrating disparate pieces of software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
I don't agree with this assessment. The Melodyne ARA Pro Tools hack works very well, even though it's a bit of a PITA. But it shows it can be done. It's just not a priority with Avid to give us this, or we would have had it by now.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...than-real-time
Old 08-29-2020, 07:48 AM

Ah, thanks, I didn’t know ARA2 was integrated that tightly. Well, all we can do is hope.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:13 AM

2020.8 was an option when submitting a support case yesterday. Maybe something early next week?
Old 08-29-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
2020.8 was an option when submitting a support case yesterday. Maybe something early next week?
Sounds promising. Usually slips like these mean imminent release. Too bad PTE hasn't released an article about it so will just have to wait and see
Old 08-29-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sounds promising. Usually slips like these mean imminent release. Too bad PTE hasn't released an article about it so will just have to wait and see
Just checked my Avid account and it still only has 2020.5 and nothing newer. Could be a phased rollout?

QAPLA!
Old 08-29-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Just checked my Avid account and it still only has 2020.5 and nothing newer. Could be a phased rollout?
Well I would not expect that they release during the weekend, so maybe it will be on monday or it is a false alarm. We will know soon enough.