Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Re: AAE error -9173 stronger than ever on PT 12.5

12.6 seems to have fixed the 9173's for me, but I was getting them from the Click II plugin (disabling that plugin also fixed it for me in 12.5). There are other causes of the 9173 error that are being worked on.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 10-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusErik View Post
My cpu jumps from 5% to 40% to cpu overload (100%) ruining my recordings. I use windows 10, Pro tools 12.5.

Installed Reaper - everything works without any problems. But I don't want to learn a new DAW. For now I use reaper for recording and pro tools for mixing, but I hate it.

But the only option is to wait for an update? that's too bad.
Unfortunately I would say start learning Reaper. This is a problem that Avid has been aware of for over two years and has done NOTHING to address the root cause of the problem. They probably just don't know what to do at this point. For most people who don't have the issue they could care less but for the people who do have it Avid refuses to recognize that it is a session killer. It ends working. You can read this entire thread but I can tell you from experience that there are no concrete solutions to the issue. If Avid is listening please start to address this issue in a serious way but starting to offer some insight into what is happening at Avid to finally fix this disastrous issue.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 AM

There are at least two "huge" (quoting Trump ) problem areas that sound to a professional sw architect like they are rooted in bad architectural choices and are hard to fix without major modifications: CPU errors and automatic delay correction. Compared to other DAWs, Avid still has not been able to introduce a rock solid overall ADC or properly working CPU allocation scheme as indicated by many complaints on this forum. With proper architecture these would be fairly easy to fix (especially ADC) but currently all Avid can do is try to add patches here and there fixing one thing but causing other parts to fail.

Since move to 64 bits was not a rewrite (including re-architecting the sw) but basically PT is still the same ~20 years old software with architectural choices that fit the world long time ago (most really old bugs are still there). No wonder it is hard to pin point bugs, fix them or introduce new features. Add to that the issues of moving the sw development to new hands (discussed here a lot too). Developing PT must be like walking in a glass house . The choices now are: keep on patching the old spaghetti code or at some point pause for a long time and redesign and restart. A common question among many sw projects/products.
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo Nuori View Post
There are at least two "huge" (quoting Trump ) problem areas that sound to a professional sw architect like they are rooted in bad architectural choices and are hard to fix without major modifications: CPU errors and automatic delay correction. Compared to other DAWs, Avid still has not been able to introduce a rock solid overall ADC or properly working CPU allocation scheme as indicated by many complaints on this forum. With proper architecture these would be fairly easy to fix (especially ADC) but currently all Avid can do is try to add patches here and there fixing one thing but causing other parts to fail.

Since move to 64 bits was not a rewrite (including re-architecting the sw) but basically PT is still the same ~20 years old software with architectural choices that fit the world long time ago (most really old bugs are still there). No wonder it is hard to pin point bugs, fix them or introduce new features. Add to that the issues of moving the sw development to new hands (discussed here a lot too). Developing PT must be like walking in a glass house . The choices now are: keep on patching the old spaghetti code or at some point pause for a long time and redesign and restart. A common question among many sw projects/products.
Niilo,

Thank you so much for finally speaking some truth. It seems silly reading people chime in thinking they've figured it out to then just write back the next day saying the error is still there. This is a deep issue and I'm glad someone is saying the same thing who knows about software development. It has to be a deep issue because Avid have remained mum about truly solving it for so long. The reality is that it never existed before PT11. Once PT11 came about that error has persisted until this day. Maybe Avid will stop treating it's customers, professionals and hobbyist's like idiots and fully explain what is going on with this and stop with lame excuses for doing nothing about a fatal flaw in their product.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:33 AM

MacPro Intel (early 2008)
OS 10.11.6
RAM 18GB
ProTools 12.5.2
RME Fireface UCX via firewire 400-800

Though in my System Usage folder/pulldown, the CPU usually returned a 1-3 per cent usage, in 12.5.2, I too often received the infamous -9173 warning. This happened randomly in sessions with large or low track count and during recording and playback in 48,000 s/r. I upgraded to 12.6 and changed the RAM ratio so that PT would get about half of my 18G's available. Since upgrading the problem has migrated to a higher s/r as last evening, I managed only 4 Audio Tracks+1 Master Fader running Maxim in 96.000 s/r before it raised its ugly head. I imported the same audio into a session at 88.2 s/r and managed two more Tracks+Master Fader with Maxim and two Aux Faders with Reverb and Tape Echo Plug-Ins. The CPU System reported that I hadn't exceeded 9 per cent for any session. RAM was set to give PT roughly 48 per cent of my entire 18 G's. Surely enough.
Also a new issue!
On the higher track count but lower s/r session, the Master Fader froze but odly the program kept on playing the track albeit without any audio. I had to quit out. I've never seen that before.

I've loved PT software since version 5 and I've been using it since without any major issues. I've never had to look to long at users forums until now but it seems that this is a big problem. People speak of rendering some plug-ins and cloud facilities beyond use. I don't care at all about the cloud and I only use a small amount of PI's.
Would this help make PT 12.6 behave itself
yours,
Tadhg
Old 10-17-2016, 10:34 AM

last night I got the -9171 (HDX equivalent of -9173) without even running anything.... I was watching the screen, and clicked on a different track and pow there it is.... 12.6 most definitely made matters worse in my case.

Please AVID, fix this
UAD Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, UAD Quad Pcie
Apollo Twin Duo,
HDX Card,
2x Avid I/O Analog 16/16,
4x Artist Mix, Avid Dock, PT Control,
2019 Mac Pro 12 core, 48 gig Ram, running Big Sur,
lots of outboard gear
Old 10-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Ok ... so here's my struggle article ...

6 Months ago:
MacPro Nehalem with 10.6.8, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD Native, 16x16 and 240 out of 256 track mix ... My system used to be out of memory in a different way. But never 9173s.

Now ... MacPro Cylinder, 24 GB RAM, External SSD, PCIe Thunderbolt 2 OWC, HD Native, 10.9.5, Pro Tools 12.5 upgraded in a hurry to 12.6 hoping my 9173,9129,91xxxxxxx whatever go away.

They just started coming. Never ever had it happened before. And it seems like Pro Tools is on a hardcore revenge mode. I have never seen so many horrible errors ever ever ever before ... But hey ... Not just 12.6 ... I moved back to 10.3.10 so maybe the software could be usable ... AGAIN - errors galore. What do I do?

I reinstalled the system ... installed a million plugins one by one ... system worked well for a day ... and then guess what???????

With the kind of money being spent on Avid ... and 3 Pro Tools systems with support plans ... I feel RIPPED OFF, ROYALLY.

Like ... so many people have had this problem for so long, though my nightmares have "just" begun ... and Avid is literally sleeping over this, and hey - for those who say Avid is not asleep - guys - you need to wake up. With the kind of money you are paying, this is not done.

Ok ... My observations - close observations - that may / may not help.

In my honest opinion. There is an issue with the core system audio driver conflicting with HD Native / thunderbolt or something. I have observed that my system sound goes off the hook and my system suddenly starts behaving abnormally when this happens randomly. Then ... I switch system audio to say LED Cinema display audio - and there - even pro tools gets sorted for a while ... but then it comes back again, and with even more power. What next? I go to setup and select playback engine as LED Cinema Display - "SORTED". No more errors ... No nothing ... But nice - Now ... I can do whatever the hell I want but not record or use my HD Native Card.

There's something massive going on - and its nothing to do with click nonsense. There is some conflict that YOU GUYS are not able to localize even after so many threads and problems people are throwing back at you.

Really ... the kind of money being shelled out every year ... You dont deserve any special treatment really. I have been left red faced for the last 3 days even when I host some of the BEST Audio gear / Computer on the PLANET.

Do something guys ... Its been 12 years working on Pro Tools and this software is the one that never GIVES UP on you .. ? And now ... I'm finished. I cannot live by restarting my computer every single time this madness happens. And by that I mean every 10 minutes.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhant Bhatia View Post
Ok ... so here's my struggle article ...

6 Months ago:
MacPro Nehalem with 10.6.8, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD Native, 16x16 and 240 out of 256 track mix ... My system used to be out of memory in a different way. But never 9173s.

Now ... MacPro Cylinder, 24 GB RAM, External SSD, PCIe Thunderbolt 2 OWC, HD Native, 10.9.5, Pro Tools 12.5 upgraded in a hurry to 12.6 hoping my 9173,9129,91xxxxxxx whatever go away.

They just started coming. Never ever had it happened before. And it seems like Pro Tools is on a hardcore revenge mode. I have never seen so many horrible errors ever ever ever before ... But hey ... Not just 12.6 ... I moved back to 10.3.10 so maybe the software could be usable ... AGAIN - errors galore. What do I do?

I reinstalled the system ... installed a million plugins one by one ... system worked well for a day ... and then guess what???????

With the kind of money being spent on Avid ... and 3 Pro Tools systems with support plans ... I feel RIPPED OFF, ROYALLY.

Like ... so many people have had this problem for so long, though my nightmares have "just" begun ... and Avid is literally sleeping over this, and hey - for those who say Avid is not asleep - guys - you need to wake up. With the kind of money you are paying, this is not done.

Ok ... My observations - close observations - that may / may not help.

In my honest opinion. There is an issue with the core system audio driver conflicting with HD Native / thunderbolt or something. I have observed that my system sound goes off the hook and my system suddenly starts behaving abnormally when this happens randomly. Then ... I switch system audio to say LED Cinema display audio - and there - even pro tools gets sorted for a while ... but then it comes back again, and with even more power. What next? I go to setup and select playback engine as LED Cinema Display - "SORTED". No more errors ... No nothing ... But nice - Now ... I can do whatever the hell I want but not record or use my HD Native Card.

There's something massive going on - and its nothing to do with click nonsense. There is some conflict that YOU GUYS are not able to localize even after so many threads and problems people are throwing back at you.

Really ... the kind of money being shelled out every year ... You dont deserve any special treatment really. I have been left red faced for the last 3 days even when I host some of the BEST Audio gear / Computer on the PLANET.

Do something guys ... Its been 12 years working on Pro Tools and this software is the one that never GIVES UP on you .. ? And now ... I'm finished. I cannot live by restarting my computer every single time this madness happens. And by that I mean every 10 minutes.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING.
It's practically fraud what AVID is doing to a percentage of their customers. They still have yet to comment in a meaningful way. I think we're all sick of the stock "we're aware of it and trying to figure it out" answer. That doesn't make up for all the anguish, lost time, lost work and lost money that investing in AVID has cost a lot of customers. At some point it's an email to the Better Business Bureau.

AVID, give us a REAL update and try to talk to us like we're not idiots when you do it.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM
bowlingotter

I just realized that I posted this in the wrong, non-stickied thread, so I'll post my findings here:

I'm wondering if this might help narrow down the issue -- could it be related to which hardware is driving the playback engine?

I essentially have two software-mirrored PT setups -- one on a Mac Pro Late 2013, and one on a 27" iMac Late 2013. They're both running PT 12.6, both on Mac OS 10.11.6, and both with the same plugins installed. My iMac is the one hooked up to my outboard gear.

I tend to bring home my recordings from the studio and hook up the HDD to the Mac Pro where I do all the heavy lifting with the editing, and get the mix to about 75% there. Then I'll move the HDD to the iMac where I'll give it a listen on better monitors and send it through analog summing to get that last 25%.

I've been having a hell of a time lately with a recent full-length I've been mixing. My Mac Pro has been peaking like crazy with the -9173 error, jumping from about 60% to 100% out of nowhere and then back down again. I waded through it to get the project finished and fortunately wasn't worried about tracking.

However, last night I took the HDD to the iMac to finish the project, and didn't realize until I was finished that I had absolutely ZERO -9173 errors. It worked perfectly the entire time.

Same version of Pro Tools, same version of Mac OS (El Capitan 10.11.6), same suite of plugins, even the same hard drive with the same project file. If anything, inferior hardware as the Mac Pro is certainly the more powerful computer.

However, a key difference I can think of is that I'm just using a Schiit Modi 2 as the playback engine on the Mac Pro where I'm having problems. (I'm using that for A/D conversion to a Schiit Magni 2 as an amp for my Sennheiser HD600s since I don't have monitors on this system). I actually think I'm just using Pro Tools Aggregate I/O as the playback engine but I believe it's still being driven by the Schiit Modi 2.

On the iMac, I'm hooked up to a UAD Apollo 16 Thunderbolt 2, which is the playback engine, where I'm having no issues.

Can anyone else potentially trace these errors back to their playback engine configuration?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingotter View Post
Can anyone else potentially trace these errors back to their playback engine configuration?
No not really but in my case it is the Mac which causes these Problems.
My Mac Pro (late 2013) had all kinds of AAE errors. I sent this Mac to Apple - they found no hard or software problem at all. I never had any problems with this Mac with other programs but Pro Tools.
I tried to figure out if it is a software/OS problem and set up an external HD with different OSes and Pro Tools versions. No PT or OS version solved the problems.
I had the great idea to test the whole setup with my MBP and my Mac Mini.
No problem at all!
The only thing I changed was the Mac. The rest, external OS with Pro Tools sw on an external USB3 SSD, my HDX system in an thunderbolt expansion chassis with internal audio SSD disk where always the same.

I rented an absolutely identical Mac Pro and voila: The AAE errors where history.

I convinced the rental company that I have to have this(!) Mac and sold mine.

Since then I´m a happy PT user again.