Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 AM

Default I/O insert latency in HD Native

What's the latency of HD Native I/O inserts? Currently I use HD1 on Mac Pro dual xeon 2.66 and I/O inserts give me only few samples of latency. What can I expect from HD Native in this regard?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Re: I/O insert latency in HD Native

Take a guess .... BAD - 45 ms ....
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Depends on your interface. Currently you're getting 105 samples which is about 2.5ms at 44.1k on a 192. Hd native gives you about 5ms with a 192 at lowest buffer, but with an HD omni or hd io it's only 3.5ms. Now obviously with the buffer right up it gets bigger, but with a newer mac pro you can easily run big sessions on low buffers.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Jack I dont think you've really tested this ...

Open a mono Audio Track and a Stereo Aux. Both with Physical Analog Outputs.

Add a Physical Output - say Output 3 to an insert on the Audio Track.

Tell me what is the System Delay that you get?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 AM

I have. And I've just done it again. Here's what I get

In 44.1k...

The base system delay is 7 samples. It remains 7 samples when I add an audio track. If I place a hardware insert on that track I get 153 samples system delay. Divide that by the sample rate to get 3.47ms (2 decimal places). This is exactly what I would have expected knowing the latency of the interfaces.

I can demonstrate this in different ways if you want...eg by printing a click to a new track with ADC off. It will be 3.5ms late.

I'm not sure why you're seeing 45ms. Obviously this is buffer size dependent and it could be affected by any hardware insert delay you have set in the IO for compensating digital conversions on other hardware.

For info....TDM with a 192 uses 105 samples to perform this roundtrip conversion with a 192. This works out at 2.38ms at 44.1k. So it is faster but not in a different ballpark. The caveat is that if you then need to up your buffers a lot TDM would be way faster. However in my experience of running an 8 core westmere I can leave buffers at 32 samples for even very large mixes with no problems. (As always with pro tools of all versions things get tricky when you use a lot of instruments. Which I dont really). TDM running new Avid IO is extremely fast. It's like LLM.

J
Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 AM

Jacek,
You should see my previous post. I've been having a hell of a time with the switch from TDM to Native HD. Not fun at all and you have to bring your buffer size down to around 32 and I still hear it. Plus routing through AUX tracks is a major pain. Not like TDM where can can throw on any plug you want while recording.

Best,
Mitch
Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 AM

Also be aware that when you're tracking an overdub on a busy mix, even with high buffers, you can set PT to compensate for that delay in the record pass. So if you have an OMNI in the system and you're using LLM you can get latency 'free' tracking on your mix and PT will remove the playback latency of the track when it places the recorded audio.

J
Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Mitch

I wonder what's going on. What interfaces are you using?

J
Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM

jack doesnt like to face facts he would rather pretend he didnt downgrade to HDnative
Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 AM

Hi Jack,
I'm using a 96 I/O
Yes I saw that compensate delay both in the Input and Output if I remember correctly.

Best,
Mitch