Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 AM

Default ProTools upgrade options with Digi 003+ Rack

I currently have Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 running on Windows 7 using a Digidesign 003+ Rack.

I recently downloaded Superior Drummer 3 onto my computer, but unfortunately wasn't aware that it's 64 bit and since PT 8 is 32 bit, I can't run SD3 as a plugin in PT and therefore need to upgrade to at least PT 11 for 64 bit.

I have many questions:

- Is an upgrade from PT8 to a 64 bit version of ProTools that will run on Windows 7 possible? I'm good with this option even if there is additional costs involved.

- If I have no choice but to purchase the latest version of Pro Tools (I'm aware that I would also need to update my OS to Windows 10) will my Digidesign 003+ Rack still work as an interface?

- Will the plugins I'm currently using with PT-8 still work with a 64 bit version?

Please advise me as to my options. I'm trying to determine my best course of action.

Thank you so much!

Kajun
Old 03-25-2020, 04:21 PM

Default Re: ProTools upgrade options with Digi 003+ Rack

If possible try and have a dual boot system. That way you can have the best of both worlds. I still have one old laptop I run pro tools 8 on
Old 03-25-2020, 04:50 PM

I'm afraid your version of PT is too old for upgrade so you will need a new license or a subsription. Also all of the old RTAS plugins need to be updated because the 64-bit PT only uses the new AAX plugin format. Some plugin updates are free, some are not. 003 should work, do not worry about that.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:15 PM

Janne, seem to be knowledgable about this. I have related issues and a couple of questions.
I'm running PT 10.2 on a Mac Pro and an 003 rack. I want to upgrade but the computer system is a dead end. I'd like to switch to a PC -based setup. I've tried to reach AVID with these questions, but that seems not to be possible. So ...
> Will a PC w. Windows 10 running PT be compatible with the 003? (Likely I'd have to add a Firewire card)
> Since I'd be moving to a different hardware system, would going from 10 to 12 still count as an upgrade?

Pete Levin
Old 04-02-2020, 01:27 PM

I’m not finnish and not Janne but ...

There is no PT12 anymore to upgrade to as Avid renamed all the new versions 2020.3 which is the latest and yes it would be an upgrade from PT10 to 2020.X so no change there. However how long Avid will keep an upgrade path from these older versions is anyones guess so I would not wait too long.

It would be a $299 upgrade to get the latest version of PT and make sure you dont upgrade and surrender your PT10 if you still need it as many upgrades and update options only has the latest version in the license.

Call your dealer and ask them to go thru detailed info on your path from 10 to the latest version.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-02-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Levin View Post
Will a PC w. Windows 10 running PT be compatible with the 003? (Likely I'd have to add a Firewire card)
As per this page, 00x drivers are compatible with W10. And yes, you need a FW card.

Upgrades have taken a different form lately. If you do not have active support and update plan (which you do not, if only license you have is PT10) then you need to find a reseller that still has old stock of "reinstatement" (of support and update plan). If you cannot find a reinstatement, you need a new license. And if you do, keep renewing every 12mth to stay current.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Levin View Post
going from 10 to 12
Avid Download Center has all PT versions since 12.6 and if you need older version you need to ask Avid Support to provide you what you need.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Avid Download Center has all PT versions since 12.6 and if you need older version you need to ask Avid Support to provide you what you need.
If the license he gets permits running older versions. Not all do.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Dealer ... that's a good idea. I've been trying unsuccessfully to reach AVID. I figured that only they could answer whether upgrading while putting it on another computer would still get the "upgrade" discount. The other issue is whether it will work with my 003. Wondering if there's anybody working at Sweetwater right now. I'll try.

I do complex work at home, but I don't need a bigger system than what I've got. I want some of the new feature. I'm OK with paying for the software but I don't want to invest thousands in new hardware. Powerful PCs are solid and very inexpensive.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
If the license he gets permits running older versions. Not all do.
You are right. Crossgrade to subscription only gives current version as far as I know