Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-01-2021, 07:44 PM

Default Screen Capture Software not capturing audio from Pro Tools

I am trying to make a training video for Pro Tools by using a screen capturing software. I am using ProTools 2020.12 and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. For the video capturing software, I have tried Flashback Express, OBS Studio, and Snagit. If I am playing a youtube video, the sound plays thru my monitors and is captured through the software just fine. But if I am playing sound through Pro Tools, the sound comes through my monitors but not through any of the screen capturing software. I tried going into Control Panel and unchecking the box that says "Allow Applications to take exclusive control of this device" for the Focusrite. That didn't help either. Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2021, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Screen Capture Software not capturing audio from Pro Tools

You're going to need to route the audio specifically from Pro Tools into something else. Pro Tools's audio engine works by itself. My interface has an optical out which I send to my computer's optical input for capturing. You can use your headphone out to your computer's line-input or something similar. Or, look into creating a new Pro Tools Aggregate I/O, use Source Nexus, Loopback, and/or a variety of other options.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-02-2021, 04:50 AM

Thank you so much for this reply! I spent probably 6 hours last night thinking it was something I was doing wrong. :)
Old 01-02-2021, 09:13 AM

The best 2 options IMO: an audio interface with Loopback, or old-school use two audio interfaces and physical cables.

If you are on Mac or Windows the solution will be different.

For ASIO audio into OBS, assuming you don't have loopback, you could use Voicemeeter, or the FL Studio driver.

There's also an ASIO version of OBS now.

We have covered this extensively through the years on the YouTube channel and website in my signature.

Here's an example of Loopback with the Evo 8
https://youtu.be/PBFwOqb6Bew

Or the PreSonus 1824c
https://youtu.be/B0wLEzyJf-U

There are many interfaces with Loopback today, and between those videos you will see the process is basically the same.

Here's an article and video about using Voicemeeter Potato & OBS

https://benonistudio.com/the-ultimat...io-streamlabs/

Here's how to do it with the TWO INTERFACE method, it can be any two audio interfaces

https://benonistudio.com/stream-or-r...io-interfaces/

We have not covered the OBS ASIO method yet, but you can google that too.

If you are on MAC, and your interface doesn't have Loopback, try the app Loopback https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio