Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 08-08-2020, 05:56 PM

Default Re: First steps with MTRX Studio

I knew there was a way. Still trying to wrap my head around this. So versatile it's a bit overwhelming. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:55 AM

Hello. Im new to the unit and so far its great. Just want to check how everyone hooked up their outboard gear? Output of the studio MTRX to the inputs of the gear? Ive never used a digital patchbay before. I feel im overthinking this a bit since on a patchbay im used to it would be outs to outs etc..
Old 08-10-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparemonkey View Post
Hello. Im new to the unit and so far its great. Just want to check how everyone hooked up their outboard gear? Output of the studio MTRX to the inputs of the gear? Ive never used a digital patchbay before. I feel im overthinking this a bit since on a patchbay im used to it would be outs to outs etc..
I have the full fat MTRX not the studio but I looked into this before I bought it.
You may still want to use an analogue patchbay with your MTRX Studio.

Say you had 3 devices on inserts, a compressor, and EQ and an analogue colour box and you wanted to chain them serially.

If you use DADman as a digital patchbay you will have multiple ADA stages to deal with, which introduces latency with each step.
Much better to have an analogue patchbay, chain them in the analogue realm with one digital to analogue and one analogue to digital conversion.

If you never want to be able to chain devices together then it is less of an issue.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 08-19-2020, 08:11 AM

Hi all,

I am seriously considering a mtrx studio. I currently have:

avid hd i/o 16x16
2 192's 8x16 each
avid omni
focusrite red 16line
focusrite pcie card
hdx 1

Im running dual setups between Pro Tools hdx and Studio One off of the same 2010 mac pro.

So getting to it I have a few questions:

1. how does the mtrx studio sound in comparison to hd io, omni or focusrite 16line? I read thru pages of setup posts but nothing regarding the sound of the actual box. Is it an improvement or just on par. How close is it to its big brother?

2. Regarding hardware inserts, am I to understand that that when using the digi link that I would have to manually enter the delay compensation values per sample rate? I work with multiple sample rates so this could be a drag. With the hd i/o its automatic. I'm running 2020.5 so is there no profile for the mtrx interfaces yet to automatically handle this? Is it in the works and is there and eta?

3. if i connect to protools via dante pcie how would i handle hardware inserts delay compensation?

4. With the trs outputs vs the dsub line outputs, are the trs outputs simple mirrored outputs as per the omni or separate like the focusrite 16line?

5. can i switch from dante to digilink via front panel?

thanks in advance...

warmly,

ej
Old 08-19-2020, 03:25 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Hi all,

I am seriously considering a mtrx studio. I currently have:

avid hd i/o 16x16
2 192's 8x16 each
avid omni
focusrite red 16line
focusrite pcie card
hdx 1

Im running dual setups between Pro Tools hdx and Studio One off of the same 2010 mac pro.

So getting to it I have a few questions:

1. how does the mtrx studio sound in comparison to hd io, omni or focusrite 16line? I read thru pages of setup posts but nothing regarding the sound of the actual box. Is it an improvement or just on par. How close is it to its big brother?

My opinion, though I’m Avid and a fanboy, is that the MTRX Studio sounds absolutely excellent.

2. Regarding hardware inserts, am I to understand that that when using the digi link that I would have to manually enter the delay compensation values per sample rate? I work with multiple sample rates so this could be a drag. With the hd i/o its automatic. I'm running 2020.5 so is there no profile for the mtrx interfaces yet to automatically handle this? Is it in the works and is there and eta?

Yes, correct. You would need to input manual compensation numbers until we implement that functionality directly in Pro Tools.

3. if i connect to protools via dante pcie how would i handle hardware inserts delay compensation?

Same conversation, you would need to input manually calculated values. The end of the MTRX Studio guide contains a delay table.

4. With the trs outputs vs the dsub line outputs, are the trs outputs simple mirrored outputs as per the omni or separate like the focusrite 16line?

They are discrete not mirrored. AD 1-2 are Mic/DI switchable, AD 3-18 are line level DB25, DA 1-2 are TRS and could be used for stereo nearfields in your monitor profile. DA 3-18 are line level DB25. DA 19-20 and 21-22 feed the integrated dual headphone Amps.

5. can i switch from dante to digilink via front panel?

Monitor sources, yes. Patching in the cross point matrix - no? That would require DADman.

Jeff

thanks in advance...

warmly,

ej

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-22-2020, 01:27 PM

I'm trying to get an Atmos signal from a Blu Ray player into my MTRX Studio. I can get from the Blu Ray to receiver but then out of the receiver how into the MTRX? What would be the best way to be able to route that Atmos signal?
Old 08-22-2020, 03:10 PM
Avid

Your only option is likely going to be balanced analog audio outputs to feed into MTRX. Unless you have a way to decode - ala a Trinnov or other processor in order to convert to a digital PCM stream.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 08-22-2020, 10:51 PM

Right. Thanks Jeff.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:30 AM

Hi Guys

How do you like the MTRX Studio ADDA?

Is the speaker processing only on the analog DA or can it also be applied for digital outputs?

Would it be possible to make the following setup:

- Avid HD Native Thunderbolt
- Avid MTRX Studio
- Avid HD I/O 8x8x8

Setup: Digilink 1 from HD Native to MTRX Studio, Digilink 2 from HD Native to HD I/O?

Of course sync loop or wordclock between the units.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:17 AM
Avid

Speaker processing can be used on analog OR digital output sets.

Yes this will absolutely work.

Your MTRX Studio will have 32 bidirectional channels that could be used for Dante and ADAT in addition to the 18 analog inputs.

Your HD IO will have 16 channels of IO connected to port 2 of your HD Native engine.

Either Loop Sync or Word Clock are viable synchronization methods.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ