How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-25-2019, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Avid S1...I am excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
At the moment it only works with the Dock (the testing matrix is already so big) As we get nearer the release we can see if that would work.
Thanks Eddie, and yes, please please "see" if that S1 / MC Transport Combo would work!

Sure, I do understand that Avid would prefer selling me a new Dock.
However the Dock is rather the successor of the MC Control than the MC Transport. Especially with a S1, I'd never use the Dock's Fader, iPad holder and rotary encoders anyway. And the latter make the Dock IMHO just too big and too expensive.

Therefore I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that MC Transport + S1 would be an awesome combo worth getting supported!

... or then, bring us a _real_ MC Transport successor , maybe some "Dock Light": Just the transport buttons, the wheel (+ bring back the shuttle ring?) and some buttons controlling what the wheel does. The result should take less space on the desk, fit next to a S1 (magnets) and have a price tag around 1/3 of the S1 (similar ratio as Transport vs Artist Mix).
Old 07-25-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
The S1 just enables the meters screen that is tied to its strips. The rest of the App benefits from all the new features and UI improvements yes.
I have to say in general it looks like you guys have done a great job in advancing the artist mix with more display capabilities like the S6 via iPad similar to Dock with Transport evolution.

And I get the streamlined S6 in a more economical package concept.

But ... one can see from the posts in the discussion that artist mix and transport users are also (equally?) concerned about fitting into tight spaces.

And S1 with Dock both with ipads are going to take more space vertically and depth. Noted width of S1 is smaller than Mix.

Dock I get is useless without iPad.

S1 - as years of Artist Mix experience suggests - is useful with OLED displays and with monitors on a shelf on small project desk for correct viewing height, makes the S1's iPad physically connected stand clunky sticking out the top/back without an ipad.

You really have two goals (amongst others) - getting the S6 experience in economical package and fitting devices in tight spaces.

Removable clip iPad stands on the S1 would have given you both.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaleric View Post
Thanks Eddie, and yes, please please "see" if that S1 / MC Transport Combo would work!

Sure, I do understand that Avid would prefer selling me a new Dock.
However the Dock is rather the successor of the MC Control than the MC Transport. Especially with a S1, I'd never use the Dock's Fader, iPad holder and rotary encoders anyway. And the latter make the Dock IMHO just too big and too expensive.

Therefore I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that MC Transport + S1 would be an awesome combo worth getting supported!

... or then, bring us a _real_ MC Transport successor , maybe some "Dock Light": Just the transport buttons, the wheel (+ bring back the shuttle ring?) and some buttons controlling what the wheel does. The result should take less space on the desk, fit next to a S1 (magnets) and have a price tag around 1/3 of the S1 (similar ratio as Transport vs Artist Mix).
I just wanted to echo this sentiment. It would be really great if the Artist Transport could co-exist with the S1 series. +1 all around
Old 08-06-2019, 03:56 AM

Is there already any available list of supported Ipad (screen size) for the S1? Is it the same list as the one for the Dock?
Old 08-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien78 View Post
Is there already any available list of supported Ipad (screen size) for the S1? Is it the same list as the one for the Dock?
No official list but it should work on the currently supported iPads, newer iPhones, Android tablets from the past few years and newer Android phones. It's looking like the speed and memory will be the gating factor not screen size.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Thanks for your answer.

Quote:
It's looking like the speed and memory will be the gating factor not screen size.
I was more concerned by any size limitation that would prevent large screen ipad (12.9") to be mounted on the support of the S1while being power supplied.

I may need to buy a new iPad soon for other purpose and was considering the 12.9" option.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Avid

The ones in the pictures are the new 12" iPad Pros. The mounting channel is straight across with no sides.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like a great solution for my needs.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
Are you using Avid Branded Black Artist Series? That suggestion WILL NOT WORK on Euphonix Branded Silver Artist Series hardware. That's the very 1st thing I tried. I had all of my units in one power rack with an on/of switch. I turned them all ON and then turned the power switch OFF. When I turned the power switch back ON the hardware remained OFF.

So, currently, my only option is to turn all 5 devices on one at a time, hence my question.
Hmmmmm, yes I was using the black versions. I was led to believe that they are the same under the hood. Could it be a firmware upgrade needed?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-09-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgam View Post

Removable clip iPad stands on the S1 would have given you both.
Agreed, I hate things sticking up blocking my monitor, which is low on the desk, I want to look down at my work and up out the window! It would have been so easy to make the back clip detachable.