Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-07-2019, 06:24 AM

Default Basic questions from Logic Pro user learning Pro Tools

Hello, I am a long time Logic Pro 9/X user and I am currently slowly progressing through the reference guide as I am trying to reproduce my Logic workflow in PT 2018.12.

1. In Logic Pro you can easily delay(+/-) any audio/midi region in ticks without changing its position on the grid or even the position of midi notes inside of it (via the inspector). Is this possible in PT? The only option which I found is the delay in real-time midi properties which physically moves midi notes within the clip and obviously doesn't work with audio. What is the PT way of achieving similar results? Especially for audio clips. I know I can use a delay plugin with small offset but if I want to apply it individually how would I go about it? Use the same delay but via Audio Suite and render it?

2. Is there a keyboard command for changing the height of all tracks? Small -> Medium -> Jumbo etc. I know I can drag the lower edge of a track holding the option key or click on the vertical keyboard near the I/O also holding option key but is there an option to do it exclusively on the keyboard?

3. Is it possible to change the clip gain of multiple clips at the same time by selecting them and holding some key or in any other way?

4. Is there any other way to quickly change the volume of any number of tracks without grouping or grouping is the proper way to go here? Even if I want to quickly drop the volume of 10 completely unrelated tracks?

5. I have mostly the same plugins in PT and LPX but PT starts way, way slower, maybe in 30s compared to 5s in LPX. High Sierra 10.13.6. I have plenty of Waves plugins and T-racks as well. Pulling them out of the aax folder obviously makes PT start faster but does it have to do a quick scan every launch? Logic Pro X doesn't do that, only the initial scan is long and then it only scans for changes. Is it just the way PT does it or is there more to it I should know about?

6. Let's say I have an audio sample on a single track. I want to duplicate it several times and change the pitch of it +2, +4, +5, +7 etc. In LPX I can quickly do it in the inspector using transpose function. I can also fine tune any region. What is the fastest way to pitch up/down several audio clips in PT? Audio Suite and some plugin?

7. Is it possible to transpose by n semitones the input from my midi keyboard so that any record enabled instrument will play in the new scale? Again the inspector from LPX would allow me to do it. Also after recording something it would be possible to show the midi notes already transposed OR the original. Is it possible in PT?

Thank you very much for all the answers. Best regards.

Last edited by matthewmkb; 01-07-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Basic questions from Logic Pro user learning Pro Tools

Some(but not all) answers to follow. remember that learning any DAW after knowing another makes it seem tougher than it is

1. In Logic Pro you can easily delay(+/-) any audio/midi region in ticks without changing its position on the grid or even the position of midi notes inside of it (via the inspector). Is this possible in PT? Check you tube for tutorials on the NUDGE function. Midi (and audio) can be nudged by most any amount you designate(samples, bars/beats or milliseconds), or you can set an offset in midi realtime properties(lots to learn)

2. Is there a keyboard command for changing the height of all tracks? Small -> Medium -> Jumbo etc. I know I can drag the lower edge of a track holding the option key or click on the vertical keyboard near the I/O also holding option key but is there an option to do it exclusively on the keyboard?Using the modifier key will be a new part of your workflow. Holding it while making certain changes(such as track height) will cause all tracks to change. You can also grab the lower edge of any track(in the EDIT window) and drag it to the height you want(holding the modifier will make the change to all tracks)

3. Is it possible to change the clip gain of multiple clips at the same time by selecting them and holding some key or in any other way?curious myself so hopefully a smarter person will chime in

4. Is there any other way to quickly change the volume of any number of tracks without grouping or grouping is the proper way to go here? Even if I want to quickly drop the volume of 10 completely unrelated tracks?My option would be to select the tracks and make a group(probably named "temp" or "special"), make the adjustment and then immediately delete or disable that group

5. I have mostly the same plugins in PT and LPX but PT starts way, way slower, maybe in 30s compared to 5s in LPX. High Sierra 10.13.6. I have plenty of Waves plugins and T-racks as well. Pulling them out of the aax folder obviously makes PT start faster but does it have to do a quick scan every launch? Logic Pro X doesn't do that, only the initial scan is long and then it only scans for changes. Is it just the way PT does it or is there more to it I should know about?The first time PT scans will be the longest, but it does take some time(something most of us learn to live with)

6. Let's say I have an audio sample on a single track. I want to duplicate it several times and change the pitch of it +2, +4, +5, +7 etc. In LPX I can quickly do it in the inspector using transpose function. I can also fine tune any region. What is the fastest way to pitch up/down several audio clips in PT? Audio Suite and some plugin?If you enable Polyphonic Elastic Audio on the track with your clips, you can then right-click on any clip>select Midi Properties(this properties window will stay open on the screen until you close it) and you can adjust the pitch by cents or semi-tones. Once you finish, disable EA and COMMIT so the changes are rendered(once you are fine with the changes you made)

7. Is it possible to transpose by n semitones the input from my midi keyboard so that any record enabled instrument will play in the new scale? Again the inspector from LPX would allow me to do it. Also after recording something it would be possible to show the midi notes already transposed OR the original. Is it possible in PT?There is a way to transpose while recording midi(I just used this cheat a week ago so I could play organ in an easy key), I just can't remember it at the moment(but it is pretty easy to find)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 AM

Thank you. You already helped me a lot. The elastic audio transpose function works great and I am experimenting with the nudge. If I nudge a clip a few ms should I use the relative grid to further move the clips without making them jump back to their non nudged position or is there a way to relative-lock a clip so it won't lose the nudge after being moved in normal grid mode. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons why relative grid mode is there in the first place- to use it.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 AM

That's not something I do, but keep these things in mind:
1-Relative Grid can be handy, depending on what you need to do(being primarily an audio guy, I tend to not use it).
2-Nudge works regardless of GRID/SLIP setting
3-(handy shortcut), if in GRID mode, holding Ctrl acts like SLIP(with Ctrl held down). If in SLIP mode, the same shortcut acts like GRID mode.
4-if I nudge something off the grid markers and wish to copy/paste, I will select in GRID mode(which will maybe cut off a bit at the front of the clip). Then once I paste that clip(again, on a grid line), I will drag the front of the clip out to restore the little slice that overlaps the grid line.

Remember, the cool thing about digital is; there's 4 ways to do everything. The bad thing about digital is; there's 4 ways.......

Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 AM

Oh yeah, so many ways to do everything and anything. Also just figured that it's possible to adjust the gain of multiple clips at once but it has to be done via the clip gain line. Once its visible you can select as many clips as you want and drag up/down the gain line of all of them. Yet another obvious thing I missed. It also works by selecting multiple clips, holding down ctrl+shift and either scrolling or pressing up/down arrows.

Last edited by matthewmkb; 01-08-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmkb View Post
Oh yeah, so many ways to do everything and anything. Also just figured that it's possible to adjust the gain of multiple clips at once but it has to be done via the clip gain line. Once its visible you can select as many clips as you want and drag up/down the gain line of all of them. Yet another obvious thing I missed. It also works by selecting multiple clips, holding down ctrl+shift and either scrolling or pressing up/down arrows.
Future expert

Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you. You already helped me a lot. The elastic audio transpose function works great and I am experimenting with the nudge. If I nudge a clip a few ms should I use the relative grid to further move the clips without making them jump back to their non nudged position or is there a way to relative-lock a clip so it won't lose the nudge after being moved in normal grid mode. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons why relative grid mode is there in the first place- to use it.
And keep reading the ref manual.... its quite a read but I think you'll find most of what you have asked is addressed throughout the Ref manual with examples you can perform yourself.... I took about 6 weeks to work through it but was well worth it. I'm currently reading it like a book a couple of times to pick up the things I missed. Also the inbuilt help/search in PT itself is pretty handy at showing you things....
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM

#3 : First, select Clip Gain Line in the View/Clip menu (or CTRL + SHIFT + =, on Mac). Select the clips you want to adjust. Then, when passing your mouse above the clip line, the cursor will transform in a vertical trim tool. All the selected clips will be affected. You can also use the shortcut CTRL + SHIFT + Up and Down arrow (the nudge value is set in the Preferences, under the Editing tab)

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Thank you very much guys. I'll keep reading the ref guide and educating myself.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much guys. I'll keep reading the ref guide and educating myself.
It’s a thrilling read if your not into thrillers.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————