Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-10-2018, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Will elastic audio ever get fixed?

There are no warbles in the Logic version. I suspect that you have very few warp markers in your EA version, so that while there may be less warbling than my EA file, the audio probably never got quantized beyond just a few spots. If you decrease the EA sensitivity below 95%, most all the warbling goes away because most warp markers disappear and no quantizing is taking place. Anyhow, when you send the file I'll be able to tell if it's actually quantized enough.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
There are no warbles in the Logic version. I suspect that you have very few warp markers in your EA version, so that while there may be less warbling than my EA file, the audio probably never got quantized beyond just a few spots. If you decrease the EA sensitivity below 95%, most all the warbling goes away because most warp markers disappear and no quantizing is taking place. Anyhow, when you send the file I'll be able to tell if it's actually quantized enough.
nope, not going to decrease the sensitivity as before the end, it was perfect.

Yes, the logic one warbles at the end.. not as much but i can clearly hear it.

I will manually remove the ridiculous amount of warp markers on the single end sustained note and solve the issue in 10 seconds flat.

There is not one single artefact like your file shows at the start and middle.. because you clearly used the wrong algorithm and maybe removed too many markers..

Logic's transient detection has always been accurate, i'll give you that.. that's why you are getting a better instant result.. but for me, to use pro tools over Bogic, i can handle the extra 30 to 60 seconds of work required.

Plus, ultimately, radius beats logic complex anyway especially if any reasonable stretching needs to be done.

Anyway look I have to go.. I am late to pick up my nieces.. My fault for looking lol.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:49 PM

No need to send any audio. I didn't use the "wrong" algorithm and I know what EA is capable of and what it is not. I thought you had a tip about this and was eager to learn something new. This is not a competition to me, I just want PT to improve EA, nothing more. So I'm done here, nothing to see.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 AM

whatever

Last edited by TNM; 03-22-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:43 AM

I just listened to your EA clip, it's got multiple warbles, nothing I would ever use professionally, so NG.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 AM

I don't have the files with me right now, but this is personally my core issue with EA-

If I record my Josephson C700S (which has 3 outputs) in a single LCR track, EA will work as well as stereo or mono does.

If I record it into 3 grouped mono tracks, EA functionality has significant problems.

Aside from debates about one program being better in one respect or another, can we agree that this is an actual objective problem with EA? Both of these are stored on my computer as 3 mono audio files. There is no real technical reason why it shouldn't be possible to make them work the same here.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Actually, it did take me some time. (And I had an event tonight at my daughter's school, you know, real life.) I just recorded a new felt piano track @100 BPM in Pro Tools. 3 files are in this link: the original unprocessed recording, the same recording processed in x-form and quantized to 1/8 notes, and finally the same file flex-timed in Logic 10.4.1 and also quantized to 1/8 notes. As anyone can see, the PT version has artifacts and is not acceptable, whereas the flex time version is near perfect. If anyone wants to try to do this in Pro Tools, I'd be more than thrilled to be proven wrong about all of this. Also, the processing in Logic only took 3 seconds. No fooling with warp markers, etc. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvoj9ptjqc...0Test.zip?dl=0
Any chance of a re-up? I was away at the weekend and missed all this. Would like to have heard the Logic stretching in particular (I'm an active Logic-avoider ).
Old 03-13-2018, 09:16 AM

Sure, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvoj9ptjqc...0Test.zip?dl=0

I don't want to go back to Logic either, so I'm using Logic the background just for audio processing/quantizing, while PT is my main program. Logic's Flex Time was already better than EA and now that they've also added Smart Tempo, they are even further ahead of the pack. I still use EA quantizing for simple monophonic material, but anything beyond that and Logic's processing is usually flawless and requires very little to no user tweaking. Logic's advancement in this area is a good thing, because it may put pressure on other companies to at least match capabilities. Or not...we don't know.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Thanks for this!

Yes the Logic one really does sound quite a lot better.

Both elastic versions (yours and TNM's) sound pretty bad, they both have that horrible flutter/wobble on the very first G which pretty much gives them away right from the start.

TopJimmy's version is pretty good actually but obviously that required a fair amount more work on his part, and even then it still has a couple of low end artefacts, particularly on the 2nd phrase (the Gm 1st inversion).

All of which just gets me even more depressed about the current state of Elastic audio really. (And boy have I complained about the sound of it on here over the years )
Old 03-14-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
My take, though not the usual workflow. Used Beat Detective to create bar|beat markers. Dropped track into ticks mode. Turned on polyphonic EA. Quantized tempo to 100 by turning off conductor.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdvp0bane9...-Poly.wav?dl=0

You're quite right though about the quality using the standard method.. Even X-Form in my workflow yielded crappier results.
Jimmy - would you mind just explaining in a little more detail about these steps? I'm interested in trying this on some other tracks. If I understand this, you create the bar and beat markers in Beat Detective, but after that I'm not sure how to recreate what you're doing. (I always work in ticks mode, so that wouldn't be something I could turn on afterwards, since it's already on.) Thanks!