Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Default How to set midichannels to an instrument track

Hi there,
I´m trying to make a setup on pt10 with 3 instrument tracks.
1. grand piano
2. x-pand
3. superior drummer

my superior gets his midi in from my roland td 10 (set to midi channel 10 for drums) grand piano and x-pand should be played by an akai mpk keyboard.
I´m using an m-audio aniversery 4x4 usb - midi interface.

everytime when I´m playing the td-10 i can also make a sound on the track with grand piano or x-pand.

I would like to set each instrument track to his own midi channel.
but i don´t know how to do this ..
I created differnt instruments in "midi studio" for td-10 and akai mpk an gave them there midichannels i want to.... but i didn´t work.

can anyone give me a hand ?

thx
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM

Default Re: How to set midichannels to an instrument track

Sure thing. I run a Roland TD10 kit(for drums with SD2 and Addictive Drums), Motif es8(piano with MiniGrand) and an old Ensoniq keyboard(for DB-33 organs) and all can work together(but separate. Start by going to your Setup>Midi>Midi Studio page. The Roland kit should be set to only use midi channel 10(in and out), because 10 is the default midi channel for drums and percussion. I would set the Akai to use every midi channel EXCEPT 10. Now, back in the MIX window, go to VIEW>Mix window Shows> and check the "midi instrument" option. This adds a box at the top(specifically on all your instrument tracks). Now on your drum instrument track, where they always default to ALL, change that to Roland on channel 10. Then on your other instrument track(regardless of what VI plugin) select the Akia(and choose midi channels as you wish, but 10 will NOT be one of them). IN Preferences, go to the MIDI tab and select NONE as the default midi thru instrument. Back in the session enable Record on your tracks(holding Alt and clicking on one record button will cause ALL instrument tracks to go into record). You SHOULD have independent triggering of sounds now(fingers crossed)

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Hi albee,

thanks for your help ....
It works ... great ....but ...

the midi studio setup needs a new setup for the input channels of each instrument (the td 10 and the akai mpk) after every new start of pro tools .

why can´t this be saved ... all the other setups are still the same - just the input is gone every time ..

any ideas ?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Gone from where? if you mean the top of the instrument tracks, by default, those go to ALL. The solution for that is, create a session with a stereo instrument track for each of your plugins, set the midi source, and save the session(I would call it "VI Template". Then, any time you want to use any/all of those instrument tracks, instead of going Track>New>Instrument......go to File>Import>Session Data>choose the VI template session and import the tracks(which have the plugin and settings already in place).

BTW, you can also save a track(or a set of tracks) as a template that shows up under your new tracks menu. For instance, I can go to Track>New>Audio Presets(my custom folder) and select Drums. When I click Okay, my session pops up with 9 audio tracks, 2 stereo AUX tracks, all my plugins, AUX sends and VCA...BANG!! Presets in 10 are a treat.

If things are changing in your Midi Studio setup page, I am baffled. Mine looks the same now as it did last month or last year. One thing you can(and should) do is save(EXPORT) the midi studio setup. I put a folder on my desktop called "PTsetup" and save my midi setups and my IO setups to that folder. If I need to change system drives(like for an update, or if I delete prefs and database files), I can IMPORT my settings from that folder at any time(although I am still baffled by your losing setup info).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 AM

Default How to set midichannels to an instrument track

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

BTW, you can also save a track(or a set of tracks) as a template that shows up under your new tracks menu. For instance, I can go to Track>New>Audio Presets(my custom folder) and select Drums. When I click Okay, my session pops up with 9 audio tracks, 2 stereo AUX tracks, all my plugins, AUX sends and VCA...BANG!! Presets in 10 are a treat

Really I had no idea but that sounds awesome
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.