Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post | Community Terms of Use | Avid.com Home Page

Google the Forum | Search Knowledge Base | Search Avid.com

Find Support | Support FAQ | Avid Support How To Video Series

Software Updates, Drivers, Manuals, Compatibility, Optimize, Troubleshoot, etc. (Links)

Please post your message once only to the correct forum
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

Pro Tools 11 Information

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 10 Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Apple's new Macbook Pro with Retina Display

There's nothing Avid can do to qualify them. To software, they work the same way as every hard drive……just faster.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM

I was pointing out that for your audio drive, I don't know if the extra expense is worth it, vs. the improvement, if you're on a budget. Whereas for system drives or sample drives, they seem to help more dramatically.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM

SSD drives deteriorate with multiple writing... so even though they have no moving parts to go bad/get stuck/etc.... If you use them for any type of data storage that is erased and or change a lot, the life spam of the drive will only be a couple to a few years... The reason they are used for OS is because the OS doesn't really rewrite a lot of files, you usually just read OS files and ad more as you say ad new programs or download a document, etc...

That is why they are not recommended or really used for audio/video storage like Avid or PT sessions and files. I would not recommend an SD drive for audio or video writing.... I would stick with a less than 2TB ATA type drive.

I think MAC is doing a great job at keeping things "NEW" like hey why do we need all these ports when you can use one of these (http://www.belkin.com/pressRoom/rele...lt_010812.html) and just use one cable to connect to everything??

Oh and the new display looks absolutely fantastic!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 AM

That has not been my experience. And OSes write log files like woah. There was an issue with older, badly-designed controllers that only let the drive delete pages instead of blocks…so lots of small write operations ended up moving data around the drive before it could be written.

And no computer (by default) actually deletes files when you delete them…they just unlink them from the file system and wait to write over them until it needs that space again.

That's why they'd slow down and randomly give "stuttering" flaws even during normal use.

That hasn't been a problem for a while, and it's more of a problem with OS drives than large storage drives because the writes to audio drives tend to be in bigger chunks.

I'll agree that they're a lot more expensive……but once you've used one, you can't go back.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Each block of a flash can only be erased a limited number of times before it fails. The controllers manage this limitation so that drives can last under normal use however SSDs based on DRAM do not have a limited number of writes but firmware bugs are currently a common cause for data loss... In all other areas an SSD drive will outperform an HDD but this area is the problem with the technology (Not that HDD's are perfect, but they have been around long enough to fix the bugs)... Im sure this can be figured out and/or improved.... but I would still use an external HDD for my Media Composer and Pro Tools session/files, at least until I see this improved.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bielefeld View Post
I am pretty new to Pro Tools. I have been using a 15" <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">MacBook</a> Pro that was purchased in September. I have just received the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and a 2.6 GHz (with a turboboost to 3.6 GHz) processer yesterday and so far the machine is amazingly fast! The only downfall I have right now is the fact that <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">Apple</a> as not released its new Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter yet... and for some reason I had Pro Tools 10.2 crash on me for the first time (so far it happend only once). I am hoping that the next update of PT10 will incorporate the HiDef Resolution of the Retina Display.

Like I said I am not a heavy user, only a couple of tracks here and there. But this <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">computer</a> is pretty amazing and light weight. I would recommend it to anyone interested.
Did you install PT 10 using a macbook pro superdrive?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Hi folks.

I am literally just about to buy a 15' Macbook Pro Retina display AND Mbox pro 3 with Protools 10.

Before I leap in, I just want to see how people have gone using this combination now that some time has passed. ie The Macbook Retina not having Firewire.

Are there any known issues connecting Thunderbolt to Firewire on the Mbox using the Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fire Chief View Post
Hi folks.

I am literally just about to buy a 15' Macbook Pro Retina display AND Mbox pro 3 with Protools 10.

Before I leap in, I just want to see how people have gone using this combination now that some time has passed. ie The Macbook Retina not having Firewire.

Are there any known issues connecting Thunderbolt to Firewire on the Mbox using the Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor?

Thanks.

Well, I guess I'll be the one to answer my own question in time. MBox Pro and PT10 arrived today.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM

I would assume at this point that your rig would work like a charm as there are little to no issues with that setup from what I have heard (I have the non-retna version with the firewire plug) but I also haven't heard of or read of any issues with the firewire adapter, this was designed to do just that or it would have been black labeled or discontinued by now.

Your explanation of your system sounds awesome and I hope you get to enjoy it as I do mine.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Default Apple's new Macbook Pro with Retina Display

My setup works fine. 15" MBP non-retina 2012. Mbox works good along it all my other interfaces.