Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-03-2010, 06:22 PM

Default Weird problem with a 002 Mixer - keeps switching to Mono during sessions

So as the title suggests I am having this strange problem with my 002 mixer whereby it keeps reverting to Mono mode during sessions. What program I am using is irrelevant, it's occurring in Pro Tools and Logic. I am not sure if it is occurring in Standalone mode. I assume it is something wrong with either my CoreAudio drivers or the 002 itself. Hopefully the former.

This is quite annoying as I have an EP to release by next Sunday and it is really slowing my progress down. The occurrence is totally erratic, sometimes it will run for many minutes with no interference, where as other times it will run for a short amount of time, revert to mono, I'll press the little green button on the mixer, and it'll run for a short while, I'll continue mixing and when suddenly I'll hear my entire mix go mono, and I'll look at my mixer and see the green mono button is lit again, like some invisible gremlin keeps pushing it to piss me off.

Anyway the only thing I can think of is uninstalling CoreAudio and reinstalling, afterall I've had my 002 for about 6 years now and it only started happening recently after I formatted/restored my hard drive.

Any ideas I would love to hear em, Cheers
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Weird problem with a 002 Mixer - keeps switching to Mono during sessions

First 2 things that come to my mind; trash prefs and reseat the power harness.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Weird problem with a 002 Mixer - keeps switching to Mono during sessions

Care to elaborate?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:08 AM

General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE and HD on Mac OS X
that link should explain trashing prefs. As for the power harness, its a well-known and documented issue that hits all 002 units before a certain serial number suffix(G, if I remember right)that may, or may not be your problem. If you are the registered owner, Avid will likely provide a replacement, regardless of how old it is. Otherwise, you can try reseating it as that seems to work about 50% of the time(read this whole explanation twice before diving in). If 002 rack, face the unit toward you, remove the top. Find the PSU on the right side panel. Reseat both connectors several times each at the PSU. Then follow the larger bundle out to 2 more connections and reseat each of those 5-6 times. Replace the top and test. If you have the mixer version, turn it over on a folded towel and remove all the bottom screws. Now(since the PSU is attached to the bottom) lift one side slowly so you can reach in and disconnect one side of the PSU, then lift the other side and disconnect>set the bottom off to the side for now(pay attention to exactly how those 2 connections fit before you unplug them). Now this harness has an extra connection that is UNDER the midi/firewire board. You may be able to "work" it in place, or you can remove 2 screws on the PCB and a few screws from around the midi jacks and flip the board. Just work each connector off and on 5-6 times to scrape thru the oxide buildup. Reassemble and test(cross your fingers) and mixer users, don't be embarrassed to leave half the screws in a little bag and tape it on the back. You might be back in 6 months(depending on the weather where you live).

Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 AM

Connect your monitors or what ever you are using to another pair of outputs and route your tracks/mix through it.
Just use a path that the stereo/mono function does not affects and finish your project.

You are not describing a software or harness type issue, sounds more like a faulty mono switch.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Last December(2010) my DIGI 002R died on me in the middle of tracking offsite. I had to reschedule and lost precious time needed to edit/mix the project. Took the 002R home and everything tested fine... Thankfully I had a DIGI 002 that I could take with me as a backup. Sure enough the 002R died after about 15 minutes of tracking. Errors included "Lost communication with 002R.." and -6090 errors.

Opened up my DIGI 002R tonight after reading this post (my 002R is 6 years old and past any warranty I believe). I opened up the 002R and reseated all the wire harnesses that were in plain view and that were not hot glued. This includes the harness between the power switch and internal power supply. And, the harness that goes from the power supply to the top main board.

Plugged into my Powerbook G4(yes, I used track very reliably on this puppy) and tracked 8 audio (24bit 48kHz) tracks solid for 12 minutes. Went over to my MacBook Pro and tracked 18 audio tracks (48kHz 24-bit). It's at 25 minutes and counting . No hiccups!! Awesome...

*****I did pay attention to those that said NOT to HOT-swap firewire cables. What I think this means and how I interpreted it is to make sure the 1394 cable is connected to your host (computer) before turning the power on. This may have been my problem all along and would explain why it tested "fine" when I took home the first time. Maybe I had 1394 plugged in before power on. In any case, I will still bring my backup 002 just in case to my next session.
** Also worth noting is that most of my projects are done on the road. It is quite possible that some wiring came loose (ever so slightly) during transport to and from jobs.
002,002R,MBOX1
Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM

It would be super awesome if someone could make a little how-to video for this procedure. I just took all those godforsaken screws out of my Digi 002 console's bottom and I'm not sure which connectors are referred to. I detached one of the plastic multi-connectors and put it back on a few times. The other individual connectors connected to the power jack on the inside were much more stubborn. I got nervous and put it back together.

I'm still having a problem that I cannot get a firewire link to my desktop. I'm wondering if my new Digi (a gift from a friend) may have a fried firewire card or something.

I made a short video demonstrating my problems if anyone is interested.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:23 PM

While I agree that the MONO switch issue is not typical of the power harness, I would still reseat as just maybe its a current or voltage sag to that circuit board that might cause the relay to not hold(not sure if its hold state is stereo or mono). In any case, its a 20 minute routine that would not hurt anything as long as you are careful to not hit anything with static(ground yourself to a large metal object or use a wrist strap that computer builders use to avoid static discharging to whatever you are working on