View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Avid

Default Expand Faders: EQ: Mapping for Versatility

Let's take a closer look at Expand Faders, with an emphasis specifically on EQ. When mapping a reverb, multi-band compressor, noise reduction processor or any other plug-in which is not classified as an EQ or DYN, individual Expand Fader maps are going to need to be created at least once (then likely stored in your template) for each different plug-in. With EQ (magenta) maps, an Expand Fader map can be created and reused for any plug-ins that support the dedicated EQ pagetables on S6.

I wanted to show an example of, not only creating the map, but using the EQ cycle function to roll through 10 of the following EQ plug-ins from Avid and our 3rd Party partners:

Here's the list of EQ's inserted on to track A:
Avid EQ3-7
Focusrite d2 6-Band
Avid Channelstrip
DMG EQuick
Avid JoeMeek EQ
DMG EQuality
Fabfilter Pro-Q2
McDSP AE400
McDSP Filterbank 202
Sonnox Oxford EQ + Filters

Once we create the map, you can observe that the assignments to the parameters are fixed whether or not the next and previously cycled EQ plug-ins on the track contain those parameters. Essentially, your map should contain the most important parameters that you might need, and if a plug-in has less, it will show what it can.

There's a slight error in my video with regard to the way I reference the 2 different EQ Expand Fader map pages. To be very specific, page 1 (which I refer to as page 2) is shown here:

...which contains HPF and LPF plus parametric controls from Low-Mid and Hi-Mid bands. It's not terribly important, and actually somewhat arbitrary once you've defined the parameters, but I wanted to make sure no confusion was created by my reference.

So - experiment with the idea of creating YOUR ideal EQ map and take advantage of the fact that once the parameters have been assigned, they can be reused for any other EQ plug-ins.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hqv6z4bkd...2418a.mov?dl=0
MTRX FAQ