View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Re: PT Software Meters: Pre-fader vs Post-fader

There are multiple uses for either, and if your work flow changes from recording, mixing, post production etc, then you may have more use for one over the other in those similar workflows (also remember to change to which you deem more relevant when changing workflow).

Pre Fader levels are a helpful visual tool in gain staging, so if you are sending level to a lot of auxes and sub groups, you can see how much 'level' is sitting on those tracks that are feeding your subgroup. Helpful if you are juicing level with plugins and compressors and such, and you can keep an eye on how much gain you have gained, or lost through certain processing.

If for example you are in post fader, feeding a sub group, and the track faders feeing that subgroup are all sitting at -40 dBFS, and your level is crazy hot on the subgroup channel, then switching to pre-fader can help you see which of the track(s) feeding the sub group has a lot of level that is getting you that huge level makeup. (of course then there is a question of if you want that or not etc etc).

I try not to over think it,(and someone may correct me which I am all for), but I try to picture it as the visualization of:

Pre Fader ( how much energy is 'in' this track, with my processing accounted for)
Post Fader ( how much energy am I letting out of this track, on to the next stage)