View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Why do you silly folks mic drums?

I have to agree with Bill...you really can't beat a real drummer (though once in a while they need a good flogging!) I find that every song I write that starts out with a groove created off midi drum loops, no matter how meticulous I am in creating the drum tracks, I can never get what I want vis-a-vis a real drummer. Its all those subtle things Bill mentioned. And, not being a drummer, I don't think like one (I know its assuming a lot that drummers actually think...but there it is ), so I don't really know what all to do to get all those subtleties even with a superb drum VI, like BFD or Strike. (I should add that my baby bro is a pro drummer, so teasing drummers sorta comes naturally to me...so all you real drummers, please know, I'm only joking - and am thinking of my baby bro, and NOT you!!! - you can retaliate with all the acoustic guitar player jokes you wish!)
So, all things being equal (or eq'd), unless I'm writing electronica, dance or trance grooves, I would always opt for the real deal, no matter how good my VI drums might sound.

Of course in certain genre's that electronic, quantized sound is expected, and the VI does the trick.

But, for all you drummers out there...I'd be curious to know who you feel about drum replacement in a mix, you know using something like Drumagog to replace your kick with another one, or snare, or whatever?? I have done that a bit, but always feel like I might make the drummer feel badly, even though that's not my intent. Thoughts?