View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That has never been true for the 5 or 6 times we wiped the system drive of a new computer and rolled back to the previous OS. There were no side effects whatsoever and many people do this without issues of any kind. The only reason it cannot be done is if there's hardware present in the new machine which the previous OS wasn't prepared for.

That's why I was asking, specifically: do we know that this particular computer is hardware-tethered to Catalina? My guess is that it is not, but confirmation would be good.
That's because the machines you did it to would have originally shipped with an older Mac OS when they were first released.

For example. One of my Mac Mini's came with Mavericks installed. I downgraded it to Mountain Lion. I was able to do this as when that model of Mac Mini originally shipped, Mountain Lion was the current Mac OS, so drivers were available for that model in the older Mac OS.

The 16" MBP was originally released post Catalina launch. So there was never a model that shipped with Mojave so the drivers required for the hardware in the laptop don't exist in the older Mac OS.

There's a great app available for the Mac and also iOS called Mactracker that lists the specs of EVERY Apple computer and device ever released. It also lists the original OS, down to the point version, that the machine would have originally shipped with if you purchased it on the day of release. That is essentially what you can downgrade the machine to. It's a great app and worth having on your phone. Free btw.