View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Help with editing kick drum track with a dominant foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagos View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to talk them into just re-recording the whole track, because the take is just not that good.
In the end, i think the drummer would be much happier just starting over. I doubt he wants his poor performance mixed, and i definitely don't want it, so i'm trying to get him to do it again.

I am going to check out the options you listed just in case. Thanks for the help everyone.
Getting it right from the get-go is the best way to do it. If the drummer's feet aren't good enough yet, have him practice to a metronome for a couple months before going back into the studio.

speaking of getting it right, I just had a session the other day with Mike Portnoy. WOW !!! He is freakin' amazing. His feet are so even, it sounded like I had triggered the kick even though I hadn't. And his time is incredible too, I don't have to do any beat detective or anything, he's like a machine. His time is as good as Vinnie Colaiuta's and Nate Morton's (both of which I referred to as atomic clocks when I've recorded them). I can see why he's in the Modern Drummer hall of fame. He was phenomenal and a lot of fun to work with.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page