View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Re: acceptable latency?

Quote:
I've also used 256 at times, but I personally feel 256 is on the fringe. I notice it quite a bit at 256, while others don't.
Yep, you hit it on the nail. Performing artists have used to such latencies and 256 is never a problem with live musicians. Never ever have I met a live musician that has complained about using 256 buffer; however, I have met few studio divas who were not ok with 128 setting in their opinion. (one of them that was not ok with 256 in the beginning said later that it was ok when I switched from 128 to 256 and told that I made the latency even smaller.)

It's about how much you have done it and how much you trust yourself. That said, in my experience, even most live artists tend to slower the tempo when 512 buffer has been tried, but going back to 256 has made it groove.

If you're on a big stage, you most likely don't have perfect monitoring. You will have to rely on what you see and what you expect to happen. It is not uncommon to have other band members 10-15 meters away (roughly 20ms of latency) and play in perfect sync -- it's a skill to have a metronome inside your own head instead of the monitor